News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

return of the 4-6-0

Started by sedfred, September 26, 2015, 12:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

i found out the 4-6-0 will be brought back, i am so happy! i wanted one so badly! i do have one worry though, it is pretty much guaranteed the other modellers will get to them, will it be a fight to the death or will there be plenty to go around? the price is a bit out of my range, any stores you think might discount em to the mid to low 200's? my f9 is fixed too, i ran it for a while and it started running properly

Trainman203

There oughta be enough ,Sedfred, while they are around.  You can already back order them at some of the discount houses.  The place I saw had the sound value model at $239.  That's pretty good for a quality steam engine with sound. 

Remember that it used to be a Spectrum model.  The detail will better than the mogul it it hasn't changed.

These were very popular engines when they were offered before.  So there ought to be a pretty good run of them made.  That also means that when the end comes they will go very quickly just like before.

Start saving now.  You won't be sorry.  I have 3 of them operating and one waiting for a decoder.

sedfred

i am going to start saving right now! i am old enough to work at a grocery store now so i will try to get a job later this year to feed my train addiction, i want either the c&o, t&p or cpr version

Trainman203

Make sure you get the ones you want with or without sound. They come both ways.

I'm getting two.  The ATSF one comes with sound.  I get Santa Fe steam engines and take the "F" out of the "ATSF" on the cab to make it an "Arkansas, Texas & Southern" engine for one of my lines.  I've already done that with the mogul and a decapod.

The T&P one, which I also want, comes without sound.  I want to see one before I buy.  It has a greenish boiler as per TP practice, but it's got to be right or I won't get it. It is numbered 316, as per a preserved TP 4-6-0 you can see on you tube, but it isn't completely prototypical.  If I get it I'm putting the new Econonami decoder in, it has much better whistles than most of the current Tsunami sound decoders.

Sedfred I think this bodes well for expecting reissue of other former Spectrum engines.  I'll bet the 63" driver ten wheeler comes around again.  The decapod may take awhile because, uncharacteristic for Bachmann steam engines, it had mechanical design flaws that need correction.

sedfred

another engine i want is the 2-10-0, but i'll wait until the new run of them, which like you said, may take a while. can any of you provide a link to any sites that sell the new 4-6-0, i'll get the non sound t&p version, i will get one if it is less than 230 bucks

sedfred

thanks! i will be getting the texas and pacific version, the price is in my range, however, i am almost CERTAIN the other modellers will get to them before me, by the time christmas rolls around they will probably be out of stock! it will be just like a flock of seagulls fighting over a few fries dropped on the ground!

Trainman203

Sedfred I think you can relax.  The consolidation and the mogul have been around for a long time.  The last time those 4-6-0s were available, they lasted 3 or 4 years.

I don't think it will be too long before you can enjoy a scene like this on your layout.

sedfred

i am so getting one of those! looks like a very nice locomotive! in about 88 days it will be mine! (at the time of writing christmas is 88 days away). also is it a good switching locomotive? my layout will be an industrial yard

Irbricksceo

I would love a 4-6-0, but I'd rather get the high boiler version with the same tender as the 2-10-0. I wish I could get those tenders separate, I much prefer it to the tender with the low boiler, 4-4-0, and even the 2-8-0. I bet the 2-8-0s would look good with those short tenders actually...
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

Sedfred, mine are all DCC with sound.  With the Soundtraxx decoders, there are about 4 CVs  you can adjust that let the engine crawl like an ant. 

The new ones with sound will have "sound value" decoders, but all those crawl-capability CV's are in the mogul sound value system.  The 4-6-0 mechanism, if not changed, will be very smooth. 

All I do is switch with mine, because all I run is local freights.  It will pull 8 or 9 cars up my 2 percent grade.

DCC ready, can't say.  I do have a DC only one that I've never run, waiting on a decoder install. 

Trainman203

About the seperately sold  tenders, it appears that you can build one by purchasing all the parts separately.  You have to look at the parts list page and check against the exploded drawings.

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on September 27, 2015, 10:56:33 PM
I would love a 4-6-0, but I'd rather get the high boiler version with the same tender as the 2-10-0. I wish I could get those tenders separate, I much prefer it to the tender with the low boiler, 4-4-0, and even the 2-8-0. I bet the 2-8-0s would look good with those short tenders actually...

Why not simply kitbash the tender into what you want?

Tenders are easy kitbashes.  I've done something like half a dozen so far.  They range from converting the Hicken oil tender into a shorter Canadian style coal tender, the most tricky,  to raising the coal sheets, easy, to shortening tenders by about three scale feet, fairly easy.  The latter two in various combinations.

Cheers

Roger T.

Irbricksceo

Quote from: rogertra on September 28, 2015, 12:31:28 PM
Quote from: Irbricksceo on September 27, 2015, 10:56:33 PM

Why not simply kitbash the tender into what you want?

Tenders are easy kitbashes.  I've done something like half a dozen so far.  They range from converting the Hicken oil tender into a shorter Canadian style coal tender, the most tricky,  to raising the coal sheets, easy, to shortening tenders by about three scale feet, fairly easy.  The latter two in various combinations.

Cheers

Roger T.

Cause I've not got he time, money, or skill to Kitbash. Buying the parts is also out, checked, would be 54 bucks a tender. better off watching ebay for 2-10-0's that are listed as "for parts".
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

I'll take the 2-10-0 engine if you want the tender.