My upcoming layout! the Ayr, Dundas, and St Catherines Railway Company

Started by sedfred, September 26, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

If the 8' length is fixed due to space limitations, as I mentioned earlier, the alternative is using a non-roadbed track system. There are at least three with #4 turnouts that are much shorter than EZ-Track. Using them will add 1 or 2 car lengths to the switching leads within the 8' length specified.

A couple of other consideration for using non-roadbed track:

- Most industrial area track isn't on mainline style raised roadbed.

- Industrial area track is generally lighter than mainline track. So code 83, or even 70, rail would actually be more appropriate.

- Using non-roadbed track lets you add some flex-track for the longer straight sections, eliminating track joints.

- Flex-track also allows the addition of slight curves to the long sections for a bit of character.

- Your Bachmann locos will still run fine on other styles of track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

I suggest reversing the direction of the cross-over to the lumber yard.  That gives you a more equitable track length between the lumber yard and the gas works.  If you use something like the Bachmann 45-tonner or 0-6-0T and 36/40 foot cars, this should be a fun little switching pike.

Len

Okay. I redid it using non-roadbed track, and flipping a couple of turnouts around in addition to ebtnut's suggestion:

I'd say this is a bit more workable, and creates space for some flexibility in industry types and placement.

Len

charon

Sedfred,
go to Google and type in "John Allen's timesaver" for a superb small switching layout.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Len

The "Timesaver" was designed and used as a puzzle, not a well thought out switching layout. It can, and does, cause operating problems when incorporated into a larger layout. Some background on the "Timesaver" can be fount at:

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-timesaver.html

and

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/LayoutDesign/?p=2833

Lance Mindheim has written several books on designing and building switching layouts with operation, rather than puzzle solving in mind. His web page can be found at: http://lancemindheim.com/

There is a lot of good information out there on building small switching layouts, without falling down the "Timesaver" rabbit hole.

And, yes, I have built and enjoyed "Timesaver" puzzles. But not as a model of realistic operation.

Len

Trainman203

Sedfred my first layout when I was your age was two 2x8 s in an L shape.  I imagined them to be two towns at both ends of a branch line.  Each end had a runaround track, a 2 track yard, two industrial set outs, and a team track. One end also had a two track engine terminal.

After 40 years, I started my second layout, my present one.  It is two of those els, with almost the same track plan,  each in an adjacent room, with a connecting section that goes through the wall.  Except now my layout is 15" wide.

You can get a lot of railroad on a narrow shelf.

sedfred

i decided i will use non roadbed track for my layout and flip the turnouts, it makes it easier to use, not to mention ez track costs a fortune! thanks for the help everybody! i did want to have an l shaped layout but that might take a bit of begging! my room is quite small, either way my layout will be awesome! i am having a bit of trouble with the scenery, i think just plain ballast is too boring but grass just doesn't fit, i'll figure it out!

ebtnut

If you go with standard turnouts and flex, you will save a bit of space.  If you're not too intimidated, you can trim back the turnouts to gain another inch or so.  If you go this route, consider using cork under the track.  It will give you a bit more flexibility with the ground cover and buildings. 

sedfred

I have decided to make some improvements to the layout, i will take the top track and move it down much further so i have room for a flour mill, i will move the lumber yard down to the first track to make room for it, i will get rid of the plastics plant, i will put the slaughterhouse to where the feed and seed was, and i will relocate the turnout that leads to the natural gas plant to the middle of the track so i have room for bigger engines, i might try to add a few trees, i will be modelling fall so the leaves will be orange, red, and other colors

Trainman203

Sedfred, stock cars hauled a lot of stuff besides livestock.  Livestock being one way traffic, the railroads used them on return trips , and other trips, to make money hauling all sorts of freight not affected by weather.  Various refined oils in metal drums, lumber, and watermelons come to mind but there were plenty of other uses.  I used to think that stock cars were by nature very unclean but I learned from some former MoPac employees that they were regularly inspected by veterinarians, steam cleaned very often, and quite well suited for other uses.  They go all over the place on my layout even though  I have no stock chutes or slaughterhouses.

Incidentally, reefers were also used all the time as boxcars  for return trips and during produce out-of-season.

If you are modeling one town you should consider providing a track where cars come  and go from your layout's world, like an interchange or a set out siding along a main line.  I have two interchanges, that's where I swap cars on and off the layout, like they are coming and going on the MP and the Rock Island.  My layout takes around 25 cars comfortably, but I have around 500, self control is not one of my virtues.

Be careful and understated with the autumn foliage.  It's very easy to  become garish.  You see it all the time in the magazines.

sedfred

i think i'll get rid of the slaughterhouse, so far the industries i know i want are the Lumberyard, flour mill, and natural gas plant, i need to think of another one but i'm stuck! i don't know what to do!

Len

Have you considered a "Team Track" where general freight of all kinds was loaded and unloaded? Pretty much just needs a platform/loading ramp, and maybe a pillar crane.

Len

sedfred

i have come up with a new track plan i think is a bit better: http://s376.photobucket.com/user/i10dtowinthebrantfordrailfan/media/Track%20plan%20rrrryw_zpszjqnepjq.png.html?sort=3&o=0,   the industry with an "f" is a flour mill, the white building opposite is a paper mill, the long red one is a winery, and the one with an "l" is a lumberyard,  the track just below the paper mill is a team track, the other buildings are shops, i don't know if i should use this one or the older one, which one do you think is the best? can you give me some feedback on the newer track plan?

Trainman203

Independent oil dealer.  Co-op warehouse.  Or the team track.  You do need an interchange or a set out on a main line where the cars come and go from the layout.

I'm down south so I have among my spurs a cotton warehouse and a pulpwood yard.

sedfred

i decided i like the old design better, i will use it instead. i am still not sure about the name, the current one is just a suggestion someone gave me. i might rename it