News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Sound

Started by jbwilcox, September 30, 2015, 03:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbwilcox

What are your experiences with the sound in Bachmann )n30 engines.

Does it have a volume control?

Does it really sound like the real engine?

Does it vary with the speed of the engine?

Any other concerns you might have would be appreciated before I make my purchase.

jbwilcox

Seems to be a lot of readers on this forum and very few interested in giving answers.

Many of these threads have 500 views and only 1-5 answers.

Why do you think that is?  I thought this was a BACHMANN On30 FORUM and there would be people who would be willing to help a new modeler.

richardl

Welcome. You have to realize many might read the message but none of them run sound or On30.

You gave people here about an hour and jumped back in.
Also, activity has dropped off in the forums the past few months.
If you are not a rivet counter, the sounds will be fine. Sounds in model trains is a very subjective subject.
Sometimes, what is best is a good way to start a discussion, argument. lol

Take time to look through many messages in the On30 forum. Do some research there.

The Bachmann DCC documents spell out what the decoders can do. I think the documents are in the Online Store link.The decoders are SoundTraxx decoders.
SoundTraxx has it's own website. Research. They also have sound samples. I am guessing right now you are new to DCC and sound or have not used Bachmann sound locos yet.

I use Bachmann HO scale locos which are probably the same decoder. The Soundtraxx decoders are Tsunami based. Old school. About ten years old technology. The Econami decoder is the newest version. Not in Bachmann locos yet.

Rich

JRT

You could be a little more patient before complaining about not getting any answers.  This is still the same day.  I do agree, however, that board activity is considerably down compared to what it was several years ago.  When I first got started in On30, I was buying everything Bachmann released.  Now I have at least one of just about everything they produce, and don't have room for what I already have.  So purchases of existing items for me, and I'm guessing the same applies to many others, are unlikely.  New items (just not new lettering) would certainly be welcome.

In my opinion the answers are:  yes, yes, and yes.  The sound is very good in Bachmann On30 locos, especially if you are using DCC.  Smaller scale sound may not be as good due to smaller speakers.  (At least that has been my experience.)

There are other sound systems out there, but the comparison among systems is very subjective.  Even though Soundtraxx has been around for some time, to me they are still the best value.  Hopefully, if a new, much better sound system becomes available, Bachmann would consider it.

Looking forward to the new and improved 2-6-0.

JRT

jbwilcox

Thanks for the replies.  It took a little nudging to get them but thanks again.

I used to look at this forum many years ago and it was more active.

I just was amazed at how many questions had as many as 500 views but only maybe 5 replies.

And I would think there are a lot of people on this forum who are running DCC with sound in their engines.

I haven't actually purchased a Bachmann On30 engine yet.  I have about 6 Large Scale Bachmann engines, two with Soundtrax and the rest with Phoenix. 

I am getting disallusioned with large scale and have decided to do a On30 layout in the garage so you can expect that I will be asking some questions on this forum.

p51

There's no volume control that I'm aware of (if there was, I'd probably crank up the whistle and bell sounds). The whistle doesn't sound all that 'natural' to me but it sounds okay. Personally, I wish my ET&WNC ten-wheeler had a whistle sound more like the ones that RR used on their engines, but the factory one will do.
These are my first sound-equipped engines ever (all four of my Bachmann ten-wheelers have factory sound), and for the most part, I'm happy with how they sound.
-Lee

Bucksco

It is possible to change the sound volumes with a standard DCC controller. Bachmann engines that come with factory installed sound also come with a choice of whistles that can be accessed with a DCC controller.

p51

Quote from: Yardmaster on October 07, 2015, 02:35:46 PM
It is possible to change the sound volumes with a standard DCC controller. Bachmann engines that come with factory installed sound also come with a choice of whistles that can be accessed with a DCC controller.
Okay, are there instructions somewhere on how to do that?
-Lee

ScottyB

Quote from: p51 on October 08, 2015, 11:55:55 AM
Quote from: Yardmaster on October 07, 2015, 02:35:46 PM
Okay, are there instructions somewhere on how to do that?

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM_pages/bachmann/bachmann.php

I highly recommend using JMRI to program any decoder, but there is the list of CVs you can access. CVs discussed in this thread are 115 and 128-146.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

p51

Thanks for the listing, I had no idea you could change all that stuff.
I was confused on changing the whistle, though. At the top of the ten-wheeler listing, it says which # is for which type of whistle, but I don't see which CV you input for that.
-Lee

ScottyB

Quote from: p51 on October 08, 2015, 06:35:15 PM
I was confused on changing the whistle, though. At the top of the ten-wheeler listing, it says which # is for which type of whistle, but I don't see which CV you input for that.

CV115
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

p51

Quote from: ScottyB on October 09, 2015, 09:41:33 AM
Quote from: p51 on October 08, 2015, 06:35:15 PM

CV115
Thanks. I read through that list several times before I found it...
-Lee