News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bobber caboose

Started by gmhtrains, October 02, 2015, 07:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmhtrains

In the 1970's I purchased a four-wheel, N scale "bobber" caboose that I would have sworn was made by Bachmann. Today I have searched the internet, starting with eBay, and cannot find an N scale bobber from any manufacturer. Can anyone remember when Bachmann discontinued this model, or in fact did Bachmann ever produce a bobber? I don't actually need any kind of a caboose, but have decided that this short four-wheel underframe is what I want to build a group of small flatcars upon in On18 scale. That is, O (1/48) scale operating as 18-inch narrow gauge on standard gauge "N" scale track. See the Railway Recollections website for the gas-electric locomotive that I will be using. Or do you suggest any other N scale standard gauge car approximately two inches in length? Various hopper, ore or tank cars may be short enough, but do not include the flat platform on which to build. I will be operating cars carrying boxes of fresh fish from the waterfront docks up a hill to the cannery on the bluffs above. On30 refrigerator cars will haul the processed fish from there to market.

Gil Hulin
Eugene, OR  

spookshow

Bachmann does make a bobber caboose -

They used to be sold separately, but I think nowadays Bachmann only sells them as part of their "Trailblazer" trainset. In any case, they've been around since the 80's and are pretty common, so I'd just keep watching eBay.

FYI, Arnold also used to make a bobber caboose (which may be the one you're thinking of). They've been out of production for a while, but do occasionally show up on eBay as well -

Good luck!
-Mark

Maletrain

If all you want is undercarriages, look at Shapeways/Panamint on the 'Net.  Eric Cox makes 3D prints of undercarriages to upgrade both the Bachmann and Arnold versions of these bobbers.  He makes 2 versions of each, one close to scale, that tends to make standard couplers too low, and one the is a bit higher to make couplers easy to get right.

Maletrain

gmhtrains

Thanks for the reply to my October 2 query regarding Bachmann (and Arnold) N scale Bobber cabooses. I have ended up ordering four of Microtrains' "Civil War era" 26-foot cars. They come with a flat deck that I will widen slightly, but no more than the width of the 0n18 locomotive. I may add bulkheads on each end of each car, and an O scale figure on the rear car to add perspective

Gil Hulin