News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC & Cutting capictors

Started by VTBob, November 11, 2007, 03:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

hello,

I recently purchased 2 MRC mini-DCC (with speaker) steam sound decoders.

One went in my HO scale 2 truck Climax, & the other went in my 2-6-6-2 W&LE Mallet. They both sound great BUT.....

They both run about 3 inches & stop. 2 seconds go by & they jerk to life again, only to stop short. They do this at all speeds.

Someone said to fix this promblem, I must cut a capaitor off the main board. Then they pointed to the "yellow things" on the boards. What I want to know is, can someone please post an image of what exactly I'm supposed to cut off the main DCC board so that I don't screw up & cut the wrong thing? These decoders fit & sound so perfect for the locomotives. I'd hate to think I wasted money again :S

Thanks,
Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

VTBob

clipped out entirely, or just one leg?

& would that work for the 2-6-6-2 as well?

Thanks,
Bob
R. Montanye

SteamGene

You can cut one leg and bend the capacitor away, or cut it off completely.  Yes, same drill with the 2-6-6-2. BTW, cutting the capacitors does not void the warranty.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

VTBob

so this'll stop the jerky, annoying cutting out while trying to run?

thanks,
Bob with cutters in hand, poised for cutting?
R. Montanye

VTBob

feeling dumb. Do I cut C1 or C2 in the 2-6-6-2........There's a 3rd capaitor tho
connected to the red & orange wires.

Bob
R. Montanye

NWsteam

Sorry to get off topic...

Are you happy with your climax?  I thinking about purchasing one but I'm not sure yet.  I plan to run them on 4% grades.  What do you think?

Thanks
Brad

VTBob

my climax will drag an unpowered proto 2K locomotive. :)

I love it :) Getting a decoder with sound was difficult tho. TTE told me they could get a decoder, but not sound. I'll have to snag a few photos of mine with a sound decoder. Cutting out C1 fixed the stalling issue :)

Bob
R. Montanye

NWsteam

Why is the tender blue and not black?  Is it extremely noticeable? I know it’s prototypical but I don't know if I'm a fan.

VTBob

SteamGene: you said: ""You can cut one leg and bend the capacitor away, or cut it off completely.""

I cut off the one nearest the 8 pin in the climax & it runs 99% better. I had to make it think it was 128 tho in order to run a bit more like 100%.

In the 2-6-6-2, I have 3 capacitors: C1, C2 & a 3rd one with no markings avalible. The 3rd one is connected to the orange & red wires that go into the 4 pin plug to the locomotive itself. Which one do I cut?

C2 is closest to the 8 pin plug in this case.

If it helps, I can snag a photograph & post it here to better explain what I'm trying to ask.....

Thanks,
Bob
R. Montanye

VTBob

I found a website the is installing a sound decoder into a 2-6-6-2. However, without any words they post a photo with 2 red arrows pointing towards the capacitors C1 & C2. Am I to assume that these need to be cut out?

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/b-mann2-6-6-2/b-mann2-6-6-2.html

Thanks, & sorry to be a bother :P
Bob
R. Montanye

RAM

Why do they put these capacitors in if we need to cut them out?  Is this just when you install a sound decoder or any decoder?

SteamGene

The capacitors are installed because of some European thing with electricity.  They disturb some - probably most - decoders.  The decoders that Bachmann uses are not bothered by them.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

VTBob

So which do I cut:

C1?

C2?

or both?

thanks,
Bob
R. Montanye