News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More Boxcar Projects

Started by jonathan, October 04, 2015, 06:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Nothing special, just to make the post count 11,111.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Guess it's been a long while since I posted one of my boxcar projects.  Really, haven't been doing any lately.

Recently I did work on one that turned out OK. 

This is a Kadee boxcar... So, yes, I cheated.  These cars come highly detailed straight from the factory... albeit a bit pricey:

DSC_1434 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1435 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

It took a long time to disassemble this car, without damaging the details.  There's more plastic than metal... one must be delicate. 

Anyway, I've been assisting one of our club members teach a class on upgrading, tuning, detailing, and weathering rolling stock.  This car was my project from the class.  My clubmate turned me on to Classic Metal Works.  I always thought they only made model cars and trucks.  Turns out they also produce well-detailed loads for flat cars and gondolas.  Who knew?  :-[

I used a load of Havoline Oil Cases, stacked on top each other.  I believe the load was around  $8 US. I secured them with 5-minute epoxy:

DSC_1433 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

other side:
DSC_1432 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1430 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Just something to share on a Saturday.  Beats fixing a lawnmower, which is where I'm headed now.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

You still cut your own grass?  I have an excuse!  I'm finally old enough to justify paying someone!!!😂😂😂🤪🤪😅

jonathan

Knees are shot. Can't run anymore. Gotta get some kind of exercise.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Quote from: jonathan on September 08, 2018, 07:37:32 PM
Knees are shot. Can't run anymore. Gotta get some kind of exercise.  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

My knees aren't so hot, either. 

Fortunately, my wife does the grass--she likes doing it!--but there's a lot of edging and trimming to do with the string trimmer, so I get my exercise that way!

Big problem where I live has been either either broiling heat with 70% humidity, or rain, rain, rain--which makes the grass grow that much more!!

We've had so much rain the grass doesn't completely dry out, even after three or four days.

And yes, as usual, you have some great looking projects!! 

(You just need a bigger railroad to run all that on!   :D )

WoundedBear

Looks good Jon. I always thought the Kadee cars were kits? You said you dismantled them?

All the brake gear......is that part of the Kadee car or did you add all that?

The load looks really good. Adds visual weight.

Sid

jonathan

Thanks, Sid.

Yes, the car came fully detailed.  I weathered and added the load. That's it.

All of the fine details are not glued in.  They are pressure fit, in layers. The plastic is very pliable. Even the ladders will pop out.  Very clever assembly, but nerve-racking.  I removed as few parts as possible in order to take the frame from the shell.

Regards,

Jonathan