Changing the Dcc address on a Spectrum engine

Started by tcanson, October 06, 2015, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcanson

Tried to change the address on a Spectrum 4-8-2 from 3 to 118. Using MRC system. Any help?

dutchbuilder

Above adress 99 you come into the extended adress relm.
You will have to change CV 29 to enable the extended adress and change the numbers in CV 17 and 18.
You can find extended adress calculators on the net.

Ton

Hunt

Quote from: tcanson on October 06, 2015, 06:20:01 PM
Tried to change the address on a Spectrum 4-8-2 from 3 to 118. Using MRC system. Any help?

What MRC DCC system are you using?

To program address did you select Prog Main Track or select Prog Prog Track?

If you selected Prog Main Track the decoder is designed not allow programming from  2-digit address to another one. With MRC and most DCC systems, any address 1 - 127 is a 2-digit address. Thus programming from 3 to 118 the decoder address would not change and remain 3.

Select Prog Prog Track and follow the MRC instructions to program an address of 118. Do not have any other decoder equipped locomotives on the track when you do this.  If this does not work, I will tell what you must do when using  Prog Main Track.

tcanson

Hunt

You have yet to identify the MRC DCC system you are using.

To program the decoder requires system's internal software Version 3 or later - press the "SYS" button twice to display the version.

Here is the workaround to the decoder's address type restriction when using Prog Main Track

If you can run the locomotive using address 3, then with the locomotive not moving  and the MRC Cab is allowed to program on the Main Track select Prog Main Track and follow the MRC instructions to program address 3 to address 1000 (can be any valid 4-digit address).

Once programed, if you can run using address 1000,  now select Prog Main Track procedure and program address 1000 to 118. 

rogertra

Check out JMRI on Google.

No need to know what CVs do what, JMRI knows all this for all DCC systems.  With JMRI you just go through their menus and select what you want to do and it knows what CVs to change, you don't.

It's also best to make DCC CV changes on a programing track and not on the main.  If you don't remove ALL other locos from the model railroad while programming on the main, the changes you think you are making on one locomotive will affect every other loco you have on your railroad.

Programming on the main is best used for making up and breaking down consists only.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

An Aside

Quote from: rogertra on October 15, 2015, 04:03:48 PM

. . .   If you don't remove ALL other locos from the model railroad while programming on the main, the changes you think you are making on one locomotive will affect every other loco you have on your railroad. . . .

When the DCC system is connected to the mainline track and the DCC command station is placed in one of the Service Programming Track modes,  the mainline track becomes a programming track and as such all decoders in contact with the track will be changed.

However,

Operations (OPS) Mode programming also known as Programming on the Main makes changes only to the decoder identified by its address not all decoders on the track.

Hunt

More ----

Quote from: Hunt on October 15, 2015, 05:45:38 PM

When the DCC system is connected to the mainline track and the DCC command station is placed in one of the Service Programming Track modes,  the mainline track becomes a programming track and as such all decoders in contact with the track will be changed.

---- Unless the DCC system has separate mainline track and programming track connections. Some do some do not.

bapguy

Don't forget, to use JMRI you need a computer interface. MRC just recently joined the JMRI bandwagon and has a hardwired or wireless interface available.  Joe

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on October 15, 2015, 05:45:38 PM

However,

Operations (OPS) Mode programming also known as Programming on the Main makes changes only to the decoder identified by its address not all decoders on the track.

Are you sure about that?  I was under the impression that programming on the main was really only for setting up a breaking down consists.

Other than building or breaking down consists, I never program on the main and not even on the model railroad.  I do all my programming at my workbench using a laptop and JMRI.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: rogertra on October 15, 2015, 10:36:25 PM

. . .

Are you sure about that?  I was under the impression that programming on the main was really only for setting up a breaking down consists.
. . .

Roger, you have a false impression. I have been using Operations (OPS) Mode programming also known as Programming on the Main for years to change most CVs. The advantage is you instantly see or hear the effect of most CV changes (depending on what the CV controls).   It can be used while the locomotive is running.

Example - Want to hear what the different available horn/whistle sounds like on a Bachmann sound decoder equipped locomotive? Then programming CV 115 while the locomotive is running on the layout.

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on October 16, 2015, 12:20:37 PM
Quote from: rogertra on October 15, 2015, 10:36:25 PM

. . .

. . .

Roger, you have a false impression. I have been using Operations (OPS) Mode programming also known as Programming on the Main for years to change most CVs. The advantage is you instantly see or hear the effect of most CV changes (depending on what the CV controls).   It can be used while the locomotive is running.

Example - Want to hear what the different available horn/whistle sounds like on a Bachmann sound decoder equipped locomotive? Then programming CV 115 while the locomotive is running on the layout.

Thanks for that info.

I  use NCE so perhaps it's different?

As I do all programming on an independent programming track, except consisting of course, I've never really noticed the effect of programming on the main.  I read somewhere about not doing it so I never have.  :) 

Thanks again.

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Roger,

Refer to  PROGRAMMING ON THE MAIN, starting on page 37 of the NCE Power Cab System Reference Manual, Rev. 1.65.

While using JMRI Decoder Pro software can be helpful and save some time it does have some major drawbacks if you don't have an understanding of DCC capabilities. 

rogertra

Quote from: Hunt on October 16, 2015, 02:24:38 PM
Roger,

Refer to  PROGRAMMING ON THE MAIN, starting on page 37 of the NCE Power Cab System Reference Manual, Rev. 1.65.

While using JMRI Decoder Pro software can be helpful and save some time it does have some major drawbacks if you don't have an understanding of DCC capabilities. 

Thanks for the above.

I've really not looked deeply into DCC.

I want my engines to run slowly and smoothly.

I don't want to hear the engine noises, steam or diesel from more than four or five feet away.

I do want to hear horns and whistles from that distance but not much further away.

I want automatic air pumps on steam.

Brake squeal is nice, if it's available and quiet.

I want a realistic bell but not too loud.

I want headlights to be all manual control and not automatically change when the engine changes direction as that's not realistic.

I want to be able to dim the headlight.

I want to be able to have both headlights dim all the time on switchers.

Finally, I need to know how to build a consist, to remove a loco from a consist and to address the consist by what loco will be the lead loco on the consist.  I don't need to know a consist number as that's unimportant.

Don't care about all those other FXs.  Fireman Fred, boarding announcements, cylinder cocks, etc., etc..  All the 'toylike' gimmicks.

So that's all I need to know about when it comes to DCC.

When it come to the manual, I just read what I need to know.  So far, so good.  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.

Hunt

Quote from: rogertra on October 16, 2015, 02:42:37 PM
. . .
So that's all I need to know about when it comes to DCC.

When it come to the manual, I just read what I need to know.  So far, so good.  :) 

. . .

Roger, I believe you realize it is so far, not so good when incorrect DCC information is provided.  ;)