Bachmann wheel sets do not fit Bachmann box cars?

Started by austrian, October 09, 2015, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrian

I have bought Bachmann 42904 wheel sets. Unfortunately these do not fit Bachmann 40`box cars. I tred to fit the wheel sets on for example Bachmann 17014 and 17032 box cars but the axles are a little bit wider than the original ones and therefore do not turn.
So what for are these wheesets good, what cars can be equipped with them? What are the Bachmann wheelsets for my Bachmann box and stock cars?
Bachmann, please advise!
Thomas

Bucksco

If it is a Bachmann standard line box car they will fit. You might double check to make sure they are seating correctly in the axle pockets.

austrian

I just tried it again, the axle does not fit into a silver series box car. It fits but will not turn as the fit is too strong as the axle of the replacement wheelset is longer than the original one.
Thomas

bapguy

Bucksco

Went to the Bachmann service department and compared a wheel set from a silver series 40 foot box car to a 42904 wheel set. There is a 1 mm difference in width. After installing the wheel set on a 40 foot box car there was no noticeable difference in the wheel spin (in my opinion). The axle tips can be dressed with a file or a piece of sandpaper for a looser fit if you feel the need.

austrian

Yardmaster, thanks for your fast response and advice!
I shortend the axles using a file and that did it. While still not as free running as the other axles the cars now run good enough.
Without your advice I would have hasitated to work with a file as the wheelsets are expensive to buy for me because of shipping cost (more than $ 33 incl. shipping).

What is the right coupler for the 40`boxcars and stockcars?
Is it the E-Z Mate® Mark II Center Shank - Medium?
Just checked the webstore but not sure whether I understand the price as the Economy pack seems great value for money but one pair of the E-Z Mate® Mark II Center Shank - Medium -  costs 30 $ ? Really?
E- Z Mate® Mark II Center Shank - Medium Economy Pack (25 pair) 50 $ ?

Thomas

Trainman203

And you can VERY SLIGHTLY bend the truck frame out to give the axle end more room.  I do this all the time, works great.  Try it first on something that doesn't matter much for practice.

electrical whiz kid

Is there a difference in dimensional standards between what is shipped domestically, and what is shipped out of country?  If it is anything like the difference in the AC voltage component (60Hz here, and 50Hz out of country), the dimensional standards could/would make a difference; IE:  Metric V. Foot/inch.  Who made the truck frames Austrian is using?
Rich C. 

austrian

Bachmann made the truckframes, all my items are from the USA, the shop I order from gets all the stuff from the USA. I do not think Walthers has an export range of items.

jbrock27

Archduke, on one of these ordering junkets, you should get yourself a Kadee coupler height gauge, if you do not have one.  Great tool to have.  I prefer the plastic version, the #206, plastic and insulated, preventing mishaps if track power was left on and the gauge is on the track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: austrian on October 09, 2015, 05:12:25 PM
What is the right coupler for the 40`boxcars and stockcars?
Is it the E-Z Mate® Mark II Center Shank - Medium?
Thomas

Yes

Quote from: austrian on October 09, 2015, 05:12:25 PM
...one pair of the E-Z Mate® Mark II Center Shank - Medium -  costs 30 $ ? Really?
E- Z Mate® Mark II Center Shank - Medium Economy Pack (25 pair) 50 $ ?
Thomas

Not sure you are looking in the right/best place but perhaps as you have intimated before, your options are limited.  But I would try looking elsewhere mein herr.
And if you do get them, before installing them, take the time to put a teeny tiny insy wincy drop of CA GEL on the spring, closest to the shank.  This will help keep the spring from popping of and I believe it will add some strength to the post on that end that the spring sits on.  I have had them break at that post when no glue was put there.
Good luck :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim; if they are "detatchable" then that would widen the scope here. 

Rich C. 

jbrock27

???

Do you understand that he has been taking stock trucks and trying to replace the wheel-sets in them?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

My suspicion would be it's the same problem that's plagued NASA forever. The specs for one item, i.e., the serperate sale wheelsets, were layed out in straight metric measurements. The specs for the other, i.e., the complete truck assy, were done in inches and converted to metric.

Resulting in a conversion 'round down' that caused the truck frame and axles to be manufactured slightly undersize. In which case the seperate sale axles would be tight. Or in the case of NASA, for a Mars bound satellite to make a crater instead of a soft landing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.