News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No sound on EM1 2-8-8-4

Started by trenthobbs, October 20, 2015, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trenthobbs

I just purchased a Bachmann EM-1 Spectrum 2-8-8-4 locomotive. I also purchased the Tsunami sound card for it. Since the unit was nib, i assume that it did not need any factory reset on the decoder. I plugged in the sound module as was indicated (even rechecked it) and made sure it was in correctly. I am still running DC with a Tech II Railmaster 2400 controller. I positioned on the track, the loco was slow to powerup, but did so with operating fore and aft lights. The problem is that i get no sound out of it whatsoever.

The instructions say that it should produce some sounds, just not the full range as if it were running DCC. Can anyone speculate on why there is nothing happening at all?

Len

How far did you crank the throttle up? Running DC you have to bring it a lot higher than you'd think before the sound starts. Once it starts you can back off a little bit, but not much.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trenthobbs

Took the throttle all the way up. Never heard a single peep out of it.

bapguy

Is the pulse power turned OFF. DCC decoders will only work on DCC or straight DC I believe. Take a nine volt battery, turn the loco over and touch the battery to the tender wheels: the + side to one wheel, the - side to the other wheel on the same axle. If you get sound and motor movement, it's your power pack that is the problem.   Joe

trenthobbs

Did this and got nothing. Battery is fine. No noise whatsoever.

Hunt

First check and reseat the wiring to the speaker.  If still no sounds, then locate someone with DCC system capable of programming by user supplied CV number. Using the DCC system . . .

1)   With locomotive and tender off track remove the sound module

2)    Place locomotive connected to tender back on track and reset the decoder, programming 8 to CV 8

3)   Cycle power (turn power off to the DCC system and after about 15 seconds turn power on)

4)   Remove locomotive and tender from track, install the sound module per instructions included with the sound module

5)   Place locomotive with connected tender on track and turn on power to the DCC system, run using address   3,  should now have sounds

If you have sounds, you can now try on your track using your DC power pack with pulse turned off

Expect poor performance from the locomotive when used with the MRC Tech II Railmaster 2400 DC power pack.

jonathan

Your assumption on a factory reset may be wrong.  If the locomotive is not brand new, the address, or some other setting, may have been changed.  Hunt's instructions are very good.

Also, it is very easy to install the sound module upside down.  I did it the first time.  The pins in the tender should be pushed through what appears to be the "back" of the sound module, if you get my meaning.

Regards,

Jonathan

trenthobbs

Jonathan, unless they printed the words "This Side Up" on the wrong face of the circuit board, it was installed correctly.