News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MTH decoder to different the # 3

Started by hgcHO, October 12, 2015, 04:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

How do you change the decoder in a MTH engine to another engine # {like #4} from factory set #3?  I have a freight yard with E-Z Command track and turntable.  I can change several of my engines to #'s 1,2,5,6,7 but I have two MTH engines and they both want #3 -thus problem.  Maybe the question needs to be= can a MTH Proto 3 engine decoder be set to a different # with The E-Z Command system?

Thanks

rogertra

Quote from: hgcHO on October 12, 2015, 04:34:22 PM
How do you change the decoder in a MTH engine to another engine # {like #4} from factory set #3?  I have a freight yard with E-Z Command track and turntable.  I can change several of my engines to #'s 1,2,5,6,7 but I have two MTH engines and they both want #3 -thus problem.  Maybe the question needs to be= can a MTH Proto 3 engine decoder be set to a different # with The E-Z Command system?

Thanks

Did you follow the EZ Command instructions?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_instructions.pdf]http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_instructions.pdf]http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_instructions.pdf

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Which programming mode are you using?

According to MTH documentation, their locos only support 'Programming on the Main' (POM), or, if your system has outputs for it, a seperate programming track. Because of the power requirements of their combo DCS/DCC decoders, using the programming track outputs may require the addition of a 'Program Track Booster' to actually set the decoder CVs.

And alternative would be to connect the normal track outputs to a seperate section of track and use POM to do the programming. I don't recommend using POM directly on the layout unless you remove ALL other locos first. Otherwise you may reprogram everything.

I don't have one, so have no idea what modes the EZ-Command system supports.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

hgcHO

Roger T - When I get to this step"Choose a new address for your locomotive and press the corresponding button. The locomotive will move slightly (figure 10) and the power LED will flash slowly to indicate that you have successfully programmed your locomotive to its new address. Finally, press the "Stop" button to exit programming mode."

My engine does not move slightly but the power led does flash slowly.   The Engine still only respond to #3  - not #4 like I followed in instruction.  Do you know if MTH engines can be given a new # for the decoder?

rogertra

Quote from: hgcHO on October 13, 2015, 01:41:30 AM
Roger T - When I get to this step"Choose a new address for your locomotive and press the corresponding button. The locomotive will move slightly (figure 10) and the power LED will flash slowly to indicate that you have successfully programmed your locomotive to its new address. Finally, press the "Stop" button to exit programming mode."

My engine does not move slightly but the power led does flash slowly.   The Engine still only respond to #3  - not #4 like I followed in instruction.  Do you know if MTH engines can be given a new # for the decoder?

Sorry, I do not know.  I use the NCE DCC system and have no MTH engines.  I posted the link hoping it would be helpful.  Guess not.   :(

Cheers

Roger T.

hawaiiho

I will start this off with a preface. At the time that I had my Bachmann EZ DCC hooked up, I only had one MTH Locomotive and it was an early one, that was supposed to operate under DCC control.
The early MTH models were known to have problems with most all attempts at DCC programming. Including, if I remember correctly changing number assignment. I was never able to get mine to change number assignments. So until I switched DCC systems I just operated the MTH loco on #3.
I hope this helps some. I have had no problems other than that, since I changed systems and went to newer MTH models.

Len

What loco are you trying to program??

I ask because some recent MTH PS3 Enhanced locos now have a slide switch to change between DCS and DCC modes. They will run using a DCC controller when set for DCS, but cannot be programmed. The switch has to be set for DCC to program them.

If it's an older SD70e, with no switch, you may have a bad PC board. I found several reports on these locos reacting the way you describe, indicating address changes took, but no actually changing the address. When returned to MTH they came back with an explanation of a "bad control board".

Len

Bucksco

This might be a question for MTH. EZ Command works with NMRA DCC decoders - perhaps MTH decoders are not NMRA standard.

Len

Yardmaster - EZ-Command works fine with most MTH decoders. This seems be a problem with a specific loco, which the OP didn't specify. That makes trying to figure out what's going a tad more difficult.

Len

Bucksco

Len

There were 'compatability' issues with early MTH decoders. Except for 'Advanced Consisting', later ones follow the standards and normally have no problems being used with EZ-Command. Which is a good thing, and why it would have been helpful if the OP had been specific about the loco involved.

Len

hgcHO

Thanks for ALL your replies - I am do believe it is the decoder in the MTH engine. Now at times the horn,bell,lights work then the only response is forward and reverse work but not horn,bell,lights.  I may have dropped it because the back couple is broken or grandson or someone. Have not tried to use this engine for three or four years so events concerning engine have been lost from time past.  I can see a new engine in the near future though.

Again thanks all for your replies.

hgcHO

richardl

There are quite a few discussions of MTH DCS issues in the Trains.com forums. Hosted by Kalmbach who puts out the Model Railroader magazine. They have a DCC forum also. Many, many subscribers there.

Rich

ACY

It sounds like the issue is most likely a result of damage incurred at some point in the past. Unless it either does not have DCC ( early MTH locos only has DCS) or the toggle switch is set for DCS, there should not be any issues programming the decoder. I have many MTH locomotives and have successfully programed all of them with a Bachmann controller.