Adding LED lights to older Bachmann plus dc locomotives Issue

Started by brokenrail, October 22, 2015, 12:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

all Bachmann locomotives I have worked on, including the split frame designs, have motors with brushes. the usual setup is that these motors have a metal cap over the brushes, and a strap running from the caps that contacts the frame. in my decoder installations I have removed these straps and soldered the motor leads directly to the caps (after removing them from the motor of course)

the setup is very similar to an athearn motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Jeffery;
I have been looking into coreless and brushless motors for a while.  I find them intriguing as a plausible venue.  I know coreless motors are used in-at least one application-in servo systems and (GASP!!) drones, but would like to hear from maybe you, Hunt and others with some knowledge on them, with your take on this subject.
Thanks in advance.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on November 01, 2015, 10:19:26 AM
the setup is very similar to an athearn motor.

In concept and operation, yes absofruitly.  But I have never taken a Bachmann can motor apart and have not witnessed anyone being able to do that either.  Different story with the other brand you mentioned.  Makes for maintenance and/or repair possible and easier, particularly if something like, brushes, armature, motor housing need replacing.

Rich, I wish you well and luck in your endeavor to have such a lively discussion here, however unlikely given our hosts lack of employ of those kinds of motors and therefore, lack of tolerance for such discussions.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 04, 2015, 07:57:34 PM
. . .

I have been looking into coreless and brushless motors for a while.  I find them intriguing as a plausible venue.  . . .

Rich C.

Way Off Topic of this thread. So in short -

One of the "Keys" is the torque you get from the motor size and weight- offset by its cost  Keep in mind, the controller to keep a brushless motor running can be more expensive than the motor.

As you probable already know, a lot of info (along with some misinformation) about coreless and brushless motors in the R/C hobby sites.

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
It wasn't really an endeavor, just looking for some feedback  as a starting point.  If you like, I can retract it...

Rich C. 

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 05, 2015, 07:23:22 AM
If you like, I can retract it...

Rich C.

Oh no Rich, certainly not. I am in full favor of free, diverse an open discussions.  You have to know what I was implying, don't you??

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 05, 2015, 07:23:22 AM
It wasn't really an endeavor...

Rich C. 

Hmmmm, what is your definition of 'endeavor' then?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

jb,
the motor brushes and springs can be accessed by prying loose the copper caps that hold them in place with a small screwdriver. the brushes are in the same spot on the motor as the brushes on an athearn motor. the caps snap into place when you are done working on the brushes.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Thank you Jeff.

Have you had reason in the past to replace the brushes?  If so, does Bachmann or someone else make replacements?

Thanks again.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

no I have never had to replace the brushes on any of my Bachmann units, but I do remove the caps to solder the decoder leads to them when I convert them to dcc. better to remove them than to try to solder in place and risk melting the motor housing.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Jeffry; good thinking.  There is some pretty delicate construction on these  and other motors of this size. Logic would dictate there being plastics and epoxies in place of a lot of previous parts made from Bakelite (R) Micarta (R). etc.
The stuff I usually work with is a bit bigger-like 100+Hp., so I still have to be careful-sometimes for the exact same reasons.

RIch C.   

jbrock27

Quote from: jward on November 06, 2015, 02:16:57 PM
...I do remove the caps to solder the decoder leads...

Makes all the sense.  Thank you for getting back to me.

Just outta curiosity and in follow up to the other part of my question, anyone know if Bachmann sells replacement brushes for their motors?  Took a look on the Parts Page, didn't find any listed there under HO.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
you may have to get in touch with [their] jobber(s).  Quite obviously, Bachmann wouldn't get too involved with parts of this nature-brushes, motor parts, etc;, given the cost of the motors; as well as the fact that other [suppliers will generally stock] these parts, and do so cheaper than Bachmann might, considering the final logistical say of the numbers.

There are many MFGs of motors.  Some are good, some not so.  It would be incumbent upon you et al to peruse info at hand to find what will work for you.  These last several posts brought me back to my ninth year, when I walked into a hobby shop and found a Stewart DC motor kit.  I thought this was an interesting kit.  It was.

Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 07, 2015, 10:24:46 AM
you may have to get in touch with [their] jobber(s).
Rich C.

What ???

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 07, 2015, 10:24:46 AM
Quite obviously, Bachmann wouldn't get too involved with parts of this nature-brushes, motor parts, etc;, given the cost of the motors.
Rich C.

What's so obvious?  Other manufacturers do get involved with making such parts and their motors are comparable in cost to Bachmann's.  But I am not asking about motor brushes made for other manufacturers' motors, or other "mfg's" motors, I am asking about the availability of replacement brushes for Bachmann motors.  So why the tangent?

I take it by your response, you don't know the answer then to my query?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

A 2mm diameter pencil lead cut to length may work. The Atlas 707101 Brush Set also looks pretty close, but you'd have to check availability. They go out of stock fairly often.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Thank you for the input Len.  I recall reading at one time, how you used a couple of Lionel brushes, cutting them with a track saw if I remember correctly, to get them to the correct length to use in a pancake motor.

It is looking more and more like the answer to my question is simply, "no".
Keep Calm and Carry On