Previous topic - Next topic

JOHN USA

IS THERE A WAY TO LOCK THE TROLLEYS IN FORWARD ONLY
THANK YOU
JOHNUSA

Lee Carlson

Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

JOHN USA

Lee:
Yep--I don't know where "DEWITT" came from. Maybe it's the age thing.
Thanks

trainyardjp

JP of Acton MA, USA writes:
Unfortunately, the Williams by Bachmann Peter Witt trolleys were not equipped with a direction lock switch.
It may be possible to install one, though. A small switch from an electronics store would be sufficient, but you would have to properly wire it to lock the trolley in forward (or any direction you desire).
-JP
-JP

JOHN USA

I still just want to know how--- I know about switches etc--I want to know if there is a way to do this
Just what  would one have to do without an electrical engineering degree to do this
thanks for any help

phillyreading

Have you looked in the how to section on here? Look under Williams Trains, there is a diagram showing how to lock a Williams circuit board in forward or whatever.
Another way is to remove the circuit board and install a bridge rectifier and wire it to the motors in place of the circuit board.
Never run track power directly to a can motor (can motors are DC and track power is AC)as it will fry the motor.

Lee F.

JOHN USA

Have you looked in the how to section on here? Look under Williams Trains, there is a diagram showing how to lock a Williams circuit board in forward or whatever.
Another way is to remove the circuit board and install a bridge rectifier and wire it to the motors in place of the circuit board.
Never run track power directly to a can motor (can motors are DC and track power is AC)as it will fry the motor.
Lee:
I am well aware of all of the above however it seems that I'm the only one that has ever taken a Williams Peter Witt  trolley apart.
The circut board is a one piece intergraded everything ---installing a bridge-cap. in the unit is a P.I.A also to do this just
remove motor wires from circut connect  bridge to motor  and to pick up---The way the unit is constructed there isn't any room
Any way Thanks

3rail

John,

There is no easy way to add a lockout to this board.  We will add one the next time we produce this item, and it will require some redesign to the board.  I cannot tell you when that will be scheduled.

In the meantime, here is a solution that may work for you.  It is not a Lock-out, but more of a bypass. The reverse board will still function, so the lighting features will sequence each time (front and rear headlight). This will supply the motor directly with DC power when the switch is thrown one way, and function normally through the circut board in the other position. The rest of the electronics are still live, so the interior lighting and the Trolley bell sound will still work.

When you disassemble the Streetcar, you will see that the interior poles carry the electricity to the control board mounted in the ceiling of the streetcar. There are wires under the seats that connect to the motor and track power contacts. The wiring diagram is below shows the wires. 

For this modification, you will need a Bridge Rectifier and a Double Pole Double throw switch (DPDT).  The biggest problem is going to be locating the switch and bridge.  Some of the latest production of Peter Witts have a punch out in the frame for a switch underneath in the rear.  You will need to locate the bridge so it can dissipate some heat. 

If you have any questions, let me know.

Regards,

3rail

JOHN USA

3rail:

As I stated above I know how to use a bridge-cap and that to install one is a P.I.A.---however I did find 2 ways to do this

What I really wanted was a way to do this on the board (like cut out-add to-or change something)
since a bridge-cap is my only way at this time---I'll live with it
Thanks to all of you