Main Menu

jerkey 4-8-2

Started by breezy8, November 01, 2015, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
Keep in mind that that LED doesn't represent any load as such.  The only consideration you should have is the size of the resistor.  Most here, I think, use 1/4 watt; they adapt easily to whatever 'requirements' modellers would have.  I usually 'shrink-tube' the whole assemblage; resistor, conductor.  Have had no problems thus far.
Rich C.

jbrock27

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 21, 2015, 08:16:11 AM
LED doesn't represent any load as such.  The only consideration you should have is the size of the resistor. I usually 'shrink-tube' the whole assemblage; resistor, conductor. 
Rich C.

Yes I am aware of the small amount of load and I do the same with the shrink tube (btw, looked in HD last night for shrink tape, did not find any or kapton tape I was looking for).  Until now, I have only ever bought 1/2 W ones, at Radio Shack bc that is what they had in the resistances I was looking for and the store was close by.  Never crossed my mind that there was a size difference; not like you would think of Watt as a measure of size like MM, as opposed to it representing power or energy.  I have found 1/2 W ones to be a little too big in some applications that I have used them in then had to work around that, so yes, 1/4 W would be better and I can probably find them cheaper on Ebay.  So I am glad I asked the question and got the answers.
Keep Calm and Carry On