News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

jerkey 4-8-2

Started by breezy8, November 01, 2015, 04:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Hunt; You commented that the 'Econami' is different than the 'Tsunami".  What would be those differences?

Rich c.

Hunt

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on November 10, 2015, 09:15:46 AM
Hunt; You commented that the 'Econami' is different than the 'Tsunami".  What would be those differences?

Rich c.
Just a few things -
CV assignment
Advanced motor control
Assigning any function to any function key
Econami does not require a programming track booster

Hunt

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 10, 2015, 09:28:05 AM
Econami is a stripped down, lesser frills version.

IncorrectEconami is not a stripped down, lesser frills version.

jbrock27

Really??

Then what is behind the name then?

Then I must stand corrected and apologize for providing misinformation :-[
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Breezy, the econami chuff cv is 114, thought I'd given that.  Start trying values around 150 and tweak.

breezy8

Trainman203  done that, seems to be working great. Now I'm trying to figure out what size resistor to use on an LED headlight. I bored out the back of the headlight and a 3mm LED fits great...Tried a 1k resistor, seems to be too bright, going shopping for some larger # resistors. Thanks for all your help....breezy8

Trainman203

Do the cv treatment to,all your engines.  The factory settings are never correct.

breezy8

trainman203...  My 4-8-2 is running great.  Now I have just one more question.....Will these settings work on DIESEL loco's too.....I have a GP9 w/ a tsunami th1000 & sound that I am having trouble with....trying these CV's...It won't start moving until I get to speed step 3.....cv 209=240, cv210=200....any ideas???THANKS AGAIN   breezy8

rogertra

Quote from: breezy8 on November 13, 2015, 02:37:15 PM
trainman203...  My 4-8-2 is running great.  Now I have just one more question.....Will these settings work on DIESEL loco's too.....I have a GP9 w/ a tsunami th1000 & sound that I am having trouble with....trying these CV's...It won't start moving until I get to speed step 3.....cv 209=240, cv210=200....any ideas???THANKS AGAIN   breezy8

Download and instal JMRI, or at least look into it.  Makes programming dead easy, you don't even have to know what CVs you are adjusting.  JMRI knows that for you.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

I have a couple of atheann GP 9's that I did the same thing to. CV's 2, 209, 210 and 212 ought to be the same.  I'm not a diesel guy, I never run those geeps, but I think 116 is the "prime mover" and might need adjustment.  Someone else will have to help you with that one.

electrical whiz kid

Breezy;
I have monkeyed around with different resistors and have found that a 1/4 watt resistor at about 6-700 Ohms is ideal-for me. 
I also use that 'golden' LED.  It gives a nice "steam locomotive" light.  The tenders I use just a white clear LED with a resistor rated at around 4-500 Ohms; which for some reason, looks nice.  Again, this is all subjective stuff.  My CVs are done per the book.
Rich C.

jbrock27

Question: much difference (in other words, enough to tell) between a 1/4 Watt and 1/2 Watt resistor?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on November 20, 2015, 07:18:30 AM
Question: much difference (in other words, enough to tell) between a 1/4 Watt and 1/2 Watt resistor?

Physically at 1/2W resistor is about half again as big as a 1/4W resistor. Typical dimensions of the resistor body are:

1/2W - 9.5mm (+/- 0.2mm) long, 3.3mm diameter

1/4W - 6.5mm (+/- 0.2mm) long, 2.2mm diameter

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Ahh, that would explain a couple of things Len.  Thank you.  Only ever used 1/2 W so far. 
Electrically speaking, little to no difference?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

A 1/2W resistor can handle roughly twice the power of a 1/4W resister. Other than that, for model railroading purposes, there's no difference electrically.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.