News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding sound to a GE DASH8-40C DIESEL.

Started by willykalon, November 11, 2015, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willykalon

Hi I have 2 Bachmann Spectrum The Master Railroad Series GE DASH 8-40C Loco's and I want to add Tsunami Sound Decoders, what I would like to know is.... do I have to cut a section of frame away over the motor and then sit the decoder there as you do with the new Loco's when changing decoders. Thanks from the U.K

bapguy

Does this look like the inside of the locos you have? If so, removes the PC board and put in a decoder. I would cut a thin piece of plastic the width and length of the PC board  that came in it where the PC board was. Put the sound decoder on the plastic. A speaker might fit on the rear under the roof vent. You'll need to find a place for the keep alive cap as well. Soundtraxx shows decoder 828038 and speaker 810113.   Joe  

I don't know if the Soundtraxx decoder has built in resisters for LEDs. If not, you'll need resisters as well. I use a 1K OHM 1/4 watt.  Joe

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H850X-IS001.PDF

willykalon

Hi Joe mine have a split chassis, the motor is in the middle of this, I tried to upload a photo of it but could not get it small enough, thanks for your help I have stripped it down and will cut a bit out of the middle where sound card can sit, I have put L.E.D,s in other loco's so no problem there, I will try again and get a before and after pic if I can....Again thanks for the info......WILLY.

bapguy

How I did my GP30 split frame.   Joe

brokenrail

There is room under the hood of a split frame dash 8 without milling for your sound decoder and speaker ,but your going to have to completely disassemble the loco and hard wire the motor and trucks and electrically  isolate the motor of course.There is a very good  instructional video on how this is done on You Tube .You will need soldering and mechanical skills.Seems like your ready.Make sure you check your drive-shaft couplings wile your in there for cracks at the worm gear.
Johnny Adam