News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Directional lighting in 0-4-x Porters?

Started by Flare, November 19, 2015, 02:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

Do the DCC-equipped non-sound Porters support directional lighting when running in either analog or DCC mode?

I want to build a tender with a reverse light on it and I'd like it to operate instead of the headlight when the loco is going backwards.  Will the default decoder support this or will I need to replace it?

Thank you.

Steve Magee

The easiest way to add a back-up light to the tender you propose to build for the Porter would be to ignore the loco altogether and install a lighting/function decoder in the tender (assuming of course you added pick up to the tender), then running the two together off either the same address or as a consist. The NCE FL2 is such a decoder.

Or if you want to be really tricky, put a Bachmann motor decoder in the tender, wire a bulb as the back-up light, then connect the orange/grey wires to the bulb. These can then be used to alter the brightness of the light by using the throttle as a volume control - but make sure you have a different number for the tender, not the loco number, for this set-up.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Flare

Quote from: Steve Magee on November 21, 2015, 05:54:51 AM
The easiest way to add a back-up light to the tender you propose to build for the Porter would be to ignore the loco altogether and install a lighting/function decoder in the tender (assuming of course you added pick up to the tender), then running the two together off either the same address or as a consist. The NCE FL2 is such a decoder.

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. :D