News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD40-2 Questions

Started by Rickenbacker 325, July 27, 2016, 06:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

Hi guys. Over the past few months I have been slowly been converting all of my engines and rolling stock to Kadee #5 and #148 metal couplers as well and metal wheels so they will be up to standard with the modular group I am in. Everything has been converted now except my CSX SD40-2 because of the couplers not being able to move freely in the coupler pocket. Is there a way to get around this so I can change them? My other Bachmann diesels have a different pocket that can be slightly unscrewed to let the coupler move, but when I try that with this its a no go. I soon will be buying a Wheeling & Lake Erie DCC ready SD40 to go with an older dummy SD40T-2 and will have to make the same changes.

Also I was wondering how easy it is to put sound inside of one, I have taken the shell off and it looks like there isnt enough room for it. I would like to add DCC and sound to the W&LE engine when I get it. If that doesnt work, I was looking and saw that Bachmann will be coming out with a SoundValue model but sadly there is no W&LE. Would I be able to just switch the shells of the SoundValue and the regular DCC ready unit?

Thanks in advance!

jonathan

Kadee coupler shanks are a bit thicker than the EZMates.  For every Bachmann conversion, I file just a smidge off the top of the Kadee coupler shank.  Just takes a few seconds, to get them to swing freely. 

My club requires the same conversions to run equipment on the modular and permanent layout.

Regards,

Jonathan

Rickenbacker 325

I can try that tonight!

Just thought of this a few minutes ago, I wanna add some more detail to the W&LE like a snowplough, ditchlights and safety stripping, but I cant seem to find anything to make the stripping. Has anyone done this to enhance their engines or rolling stock?

jbrock27

Quote from: jonathan on July 27, 2016, 07:10:49 PM
I file just a smidge off the top of the Kadee coupler shank.  Just takes a few seconds, to get them to swing freely. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan do you do that to #5s? or #148s?  That difficult to do on ones w/whiskers?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Rickenbacker 325

I was able to do it with #148's, but the only thing is now they are to high. I did have a low shank coupler available so I did the same and now it wont move freely. It seems that the hole on the coupler isn't big enough to fit around the screw hole. I do not know how to make the hole bigger. Any ideas?

Btw, The whiskers do not reach the sides of the box so I bent them out and now they work great.

jbrock27

Eddie, how much bigger do you have to make it?  Have drill bits?  Pin vise(s)?  Drill?  Needle nose pliers?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jonathan

Jbrock,

I have filed on whisker spring couplers.  Just have to be careful not to file too much or accidently bend the whiskers.

I have also experienced the hole being too small on the kadee couplers.  I have a round needle file that I use on the coupler hole when necessary.  Like before, it doesn't take much filing.  The difference between the post size and hole size is very minimal.

I once tried filing away at the post.  It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Thanks for getting back to me on the filing of the Kadees Jonathan.   Have a good night. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Rickenbacker 325

I got the couplers to work! Thank you so much! I found that the tab to hold the coupler and screw was one of the reasons the coupler wasn't the right hight. The screw head is wide enough where the coupler wont fall out without the tab and works much better.

Any word on adding sound to a unit?