Changing to Knuckle Couplers Question

Started by Kemptown Branch, November 24, 2015, 11:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kemptown Branch

Hello everyone. I have decided plans for a layout that I want to make for the future. I am planning on using ez app because you can have DC track power with it, unlike DCC, and I am planning on changing the couplers on my thomas stock to knuckle couplers. I am thinking about, for Thomas at least, getting a NEM coupler set and gluing it on the running board where the hook and loop would go. Do you think this will work, also, what should I do for other engines? Do you think this way for Thomas would work without derailing American body mounted rolling stock on curves?
-TrainMan2001
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

jward

you may have to wait a little while for the ez app. blue rail trains is making the Bluetooth decoders, but I don't think they are yet small enough to fit in Thomas or percy. when I converted Thomas to dcc I used a z scale decoder.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17870.0.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: jward on November 25, 2015, 02:33:43 PM
you may have to wait a little while for the ez app. blue rail trains is making the Bluetooth decoders, but I don't think they are yet small enough to fit in Thomas or percy. when I converted Thomas to dcc I used a z scale decoder.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17870.0.html

Yes I know I will have to wait a little while. It will take me a long time to get enough track and trains for a serious layout anyway.

uscgtanker

You don't need to glue the knuckles to your rolling stock. My brother models british trains and has converted all our Thomas and friends to Kadee couplers. for thomas all you need to do is remove the loop and hook, keep the screw. cut a 1/8th inch slot in the buffer beam to fit a #5 kadee coupler box minus the top cover piece. He has found this sit invaluable for conversion hope it works for you to.
http://www.mumbles274.co.uk/nonnemkadees.html#pullman

Kemptown Branch

UPTODAY

knuckle couplers;previous thread on this subject is on page 6,3 or 4 down ,check it out!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

clan line 35028

I already converted my entire collection of thomas and friends rollingstock to Kadee couplers with the exception of Donald the scotish twin. the front coupler beam is metal. this website will show you how to convert the regular train cars that bachmann has available.
http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3328

UPTODAY

So,if I change my thomas stock to knuckle couplers,is that a "SACRILEGE"?Am I destroying the value of the model?
Your thoughts please,
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on December 27, 2015, 04:37:21 PM
So,if I change my thomas stock to knuckle couplers,is that a "SACRILEGE"?Am I destroying the value of the model?
Your thoughts please,
UPTODAY

I think you probably will be, because you ever want to sell your collection, you probably won't find many people wanting it because of the changes your have made, and the buying of having to buy hundreds of packs of the 78979 HO/OO International Style Hook-and-Loop Coupilers to restore the models to their original look. It will also be expensive for you to buy the knuckle coupilers, especially if you plan on selling your Thomas & Friends collection soon after you complete and show it to your grandchildren. For instance, if they become quickly not interested, you will have to try and make your money back form buying the models but also the extra money spent from the knuckle coupilers which you make not be able to get back. Personally, if the Thomas collection is something you plan to keep for a number of years and long time, it maybe beneficial to look into getting the knuckle coupliers for them, but if you do not plan keeping it for a long time, I do not recommend your changing them. Just some food for thought UPTODAY, but my personal opinion is that I would not do this, but if you would like too then it will be a project for you and something else for you too do!

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: UPTODAY on December 27, 2015, 04:37:21 PM
Your thoughts please,
UPTODAY
Simply keep the hook-and-loops with their original engine- then, if you decide to sell the models, you can feel free to include the original couplers in the event the new owner wants to reset them to "default," as it were.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

UPTODAY

To install the knuckle couplers properly you must remove the post that holds the hook and loop coupler.Once you have cut off that post,there is no turning back.                                     
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on December 27, 2015, 10:04:23 PM
To install the knuckle couplers properly you must remove the post that holds the hook and loop coupler.Once you have cut off that post,there is no turning back.                                      
UPTODAY

Exactly UPTODAY, and then you have pretty much spoilt the models as well, so I see it as vandalism to the models and an expensive waste of time! I really do think doing this is not worth it. If you want my advice UPTODAY, I think you should leave the models how they are and not fit these knuckle coupilers.

AJW98Productions

I have to disagree on the topic of fitting knuckle couplings to them. If most of your stock has knuckle couplers (for example: a lot of American stock uses knuckle couplers) so I can see the appeal to it. I also disagree that it could harm resale value, I think it seems like there's enough of a market for Thomas stock fitted with knuckle couplings, so resale value wouldn't exactly be too badly damaged, and you save the next buyer a lot of work if they intended to fit their Thomas items with knuckle couplers.

At the very least, I'd say the term "sacrilege" is an exaggeration. I've seen a Bachmann Toby on eBay with sprung buffers fitted and screw-link couplings also fitted, as well as some detailing here and there added, it was slightly used and it still sold for around the same price as a normal Toby, because the detailing had been carried out nicely, and it looked in an as new condition. There is a market for trains that are, in some people's eyes "improved", if a knuckle coupling conversion were to be carried out correctly, I see no reason why the resale value should be drastically damaged. There is a market for that sort of modification after all.

~Alex

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 28, 2015, 05:28:23 AM
I have to disagree on the topic of fitting knuckle couplings to them. If most of your stock has knuckle couplers (for example: a lot of American stock uses knuckle couplers) so I can see the appeal to it. I also disagree that it could harm resale value, I think it seems like there's enough of a market for Thomas stock fitted with knuckle couplings, so resale value wouldn't exactly be too badly damaged, and you save the next buyer a lot of work if they intended to fit their Thomas items with knuckle couplers.

At the very least, I'd say the term "sacrilege" is an exaggeration. I've seen a Bachmann Toby on eBay with sprung buffers fitted and screw-link couplings also fitted, as well as some detailing here and there added, it was slightly used and it still sold for around the same price as a normal Toby, because the detailing had been carried out nicely, and it looked in an as new condition. There is a market for trains that are, in some people's eyes "improved", if a knuckle coupling conversion were to be carried out correctly, I see no reason why the resale value should be drastically damaged. There is a market for that sort of modification after all.

~Alex

The problem is that must be remembered, is that what needs to be done to fit the knuckle coupilers is that you have to cut away the holders for the Hook-and-Loop Coupilers which means that you will ruin the models and will mean that they will never be able to be restored to back their original couplings.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 28, 2015, 05:53:05 AM
The problem is that must be remembered, is that what needs to be done to fit the knuckle coupilers is that you have to cut away the holders for the Hook-and-Loop Coupilers which means that you will ruin the models and will mean that they will never be able to be restored to back their original couplings.
Jacob, so long as the seller is honest about this, it should be a non-issue, as I said before there is a market for these modified models, if the buyer wanted to fit their Thomas or any other engine with knuckle couplings, they wouldn't care as they were going to do it anyway, there's enough of a market for knuckle coupling fitted Bachmann Thomas stock that second-hand sales should not be an issue, provided the seller is honest about what the buyer is getting. I don't know how I could make this clearer, there is a market for this, selling should not be an issue. For example: I know a person who bought a Bachmann Percy with knuckle couplings fitted to it for his mostly American layout, he soon also bought a Thomas fitted with them, he knew what he was buying, he wanted the product, so he didn't care that it was modified. It was no real issue to him.

Anyway, it would seem TrainMan2001 has made up their mind on what they want, I suggest that unless we could aid in instructing or help give advice to make the conversion go through, we leave the topic alone. I know as I am not being helpful, I shall soon leave this topic alone, and let the experts in conversion handle it.

~Alex