Changing to Knuckle Couplers Question

Started by Kemptown Branch, November 24, 2015, 11:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: AJW98Productions on December 28, 2015, 06:24:22 AM
Quote from: Jacob Wilson on December 28, 2015, 05:53:05 AM
The problem is that must be remembered, is that what needs to be done to fit the knuckle coupilers is that you have to cut away the holders for the Hook-and-Loop Coupilers which means that you will ruin the models and will mean that they will never be able to be restored to back their original couplings.
Jacob, so long as the seller is honest about this, it should be a non-issue, as I said before there is a market for these modified models, if the buyer wanted to fit their Thomas or any other engine with knuckle couplings, they wouldn't care as they were going to do it anyway, there's enough of a market for knuckle coupling fitted Bachmann Thomas stock that second-hand sales should not be an issue, provided the seller is honest about what the buyer is getting. I don't know how I could make this clearer, there is a market for this, selling should not be an issue. For example: I know a person who bought a Bachmann Percy with knuckle couplings fitted to it for his mostly American layout, he soon also bought a Thomas fitted with them, he knew what he was buying, he wanted the product, so he didn't care that it was modified. It was no real issue to him.

Anyway, it would seem TrainMan2001 has made up their mind on what they want, I suggest that unless we could aid in instructing or help give advice to make the conversion go through, we leave the topic alone. I know as I am not being helpful, I shall soon leave this topic alone, and let the experts in conversion handle it.

~Alex

That's true. Seller's need to be truthful in the condition of the product they are selling, and any major change like to the couplings need to be told to the customer or potential customer in the description of the product.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Quote from: UPTODAY on December 27, 2015, 10:04:23 PM
To install the knuckle couplers properly you must remove the post that holds the hook and loop coupler.Once you have cut off that post,there is no turning back.                                     
UPTODAY
Oops, sorry I didn't realize that.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

clan line 35028

I have converted all my British and Bachmann Thomas to kadee. I have seen a vast improvement to them. 1 they look better without such a big really crummy looking loop and hook coupler on either end. 2. cars and locomotives look better together and at prototype distance. 3 they are SOOOO much easier to decoupler now. 4 they operate better. the loop and hook usually snagged or tangled around sharper curves or tight switching. The kadee coupler does not have that problem. the only disadvantage as all of you point out is the resale value can be slightly damaged.   

sodor express

You do realize that Bachmann makes thousands of these a year. There really is no collectability in them. Limited edition I could see and understand. If some are discontinued yes ,like Gordon's coaches .But their are other makers of coaches out there, and with a little paint, done. Watching my 4 year old grandson struggle with those crappy hooks trying to take them apart and the whole train lifts together and bends the hooks, or come apart in the air and drop to the floor. With Kadee's he simply lifts the car straight up to disconnect , or he uses the under track magnets and then shunts the trucks. Yes he knows how to use them at 4 years old. If Bachmann would at least use NEM style couplers they would be easier to convert. I picked up 2 Thomas with coaches with James as well,grungy dirty but in perfect shape for $30 bucks CAD. Where is the collectability? Even in the UK and Australia they are converting to Kadee's as a whole because they find out their cars run better. I'll continue to change over any Thomas line he gets, and if I see some already converted at a train show, I'll snap them up right away.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: sodor express on January 16, 2016, 06:38:44 PM
You do realize that Bachmann makes thousands of these a year. There really is no collectability in them. Limited edition I could see and understand. If some are discontinued yes ,like Gordon's coaches .But their are other makers of coaches out there, and with a little paint, done. Watching my 4 year old grandson struggle with those crappy hooks trying to take them apart and the whole train lifts together and bends the hooks, or come apart in the air and drop to the floor. With Kadee's he simply lifts the car straight up to disconnect , or he uses the under track magnets and then shunts the trucks. Yes he knows how to use them at 4 years old. If Bachmann would at least use NEM style couplers they would be easier to convert. I picked up 2 Thomas with coaches with James as well,grungy dirty but in perfect shape for $30 bucks CAD. Where is the collectability? Even in the UK and Australia they are converting to Kadee's as a whole because they find out their cars run better. I'll continue to change over any Thomas line he gets, and if I see some already converted at a train show, I'll snap them up right away.

Collectability is in the product itself as it from the Thomas & Friends range. Generally, I find collectors of this range are older than 4 years old. I am 19 years old. I can see why you changing them, is because it is easier for your 4 year old grandson to uncouple his Locomotives and Rolling Stock, but changing to knuckle couplings does cost more, as you have to buy the products and loads of packs of knuckle couplings. Personally, the hook-and-loop couplings you get on the products out of the blister packs are alright too me.

UPTODAY

OK,heres the latest story.Took the hook and loop couplers off of SALTY,installed kadee #158s in the cuopler boxes,went right in with no mods,but the coupler is too low,so I cut off the trip pin.Looks good to me .did the same thing to the 6ton wagon,went forward and backwards real fast no derailments.NO mods to the product.
ARE WE GETTING SOMEWHERE NOW?????
UPTODAY
STEVE
HAPPY IN PORTLAND
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on January 16, 2016, 07:22:14 PM
OK,heres the latest story.Took the hook and loop couplers off of SALTY,installed kadee #158s in the cuopler boxes,went right in with no mods,but the coupler is too low,so I cut off the trip pin.Looks good to me .did the same thing to the 6ton wagon,went forward and backwards real fast no derailments.NO mods to the product.
ARE WE GETTING SOMEWHERE NOW?????
UPTODAY
STEVE
HAPPY IN PORTLAND

Are you able to post picture of what you have done too Salty, or have you not learnt to post pictures yet?

Personally though Steve (UPTODAY), I like to keep my collection in 'factory and out of the box condition' and think making these changes to the product spoils the value of it.

UPTODAY

No pictures yet,the best part of this system is I can change back to the original couplers with no damage to the models.
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on January 16, 2016, 08:10:12 PM
No pictures yet,the best part of this system is I can change back to the original couplers with no damage to the models.
UPTODAY

Well change back to the original couplings if you wanted too.

UPTODAY

Hi,everyone,switching to knuckle couplers makes it real easy to switch wagons just like the real trains.I LOVE IT!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on January 17, 2016, 02:52:41 PM
Hi,everyone,switching to knuckle couplers makes it real easy to switch wagons just like the real trains.I LOVE IT!!!!
UPTODAY

How much do these knuckle couplers cost, Steve (UPTODAY)?

UPTODAY

The knuckle couplers,kadee #158,cost $4.27 for two pair,enough for two wagons.I can pick up a wagon in the middle of a train without anything else moving!!!
HAVE FUN RUN TRAINS(NO PURPLE WAGONS!!!)
STEVE
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on January 17, 2016, 04:29:22 PM
The knuckle couplers,kadee #158,cost $4.27 for two pair,enough for two wagons.I can pick up a wagon in the middle of a train without anything else moving!!!
HAVE FUN RUN TRAINS(NO PURPLE WAGONS!!!)
STEVE
UPTODAY

So, too fit the knuckle couplers too every Locomotive and piece of Rolling Stock is going to be a costly project! I am very happy with the Hook-and-Loop Couplers myself, but we are all different.

Very funny Steve (UPTODAY)! I do not own any Purple Wagon's, especially Purple Brake Van's! I was going to invite you to the Circus and a ski down Hornby Mountain, but I think I have changed my mind now! I do not have your so called 'Hornby Mountain' anymore, anyway!

UPTODAY

Hi,everyone,my problem with the hook and loop couplers is backing up they derail,making switching wagons difficult!!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: UPTODAY on January 17, 2016, 05:56:00 PM
Hi,everyone,my problem with the hook and loop couplers is backing up they derail,making switching wagons difficult!!!!!
UPTODAY

They will derail if you not careful. You just need to work how to uncouple Rolling Stock with out pulling others off the track. It takes time too learn Steve (UPTODAY), but trust me you will get it. I find the more slowly you do it works a treat and you will not end up derailing the whole of your train!