News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 with 0-6-0 cab and boiler

Started by witchdoctor40, November 27, 2015, 04:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

witchdoctor40

I am looking to get as accurate an Army 0-6-0 as possible. So will the cab and boiler from an 0-6-0 fit on the on the newer 2-6-0 chassis?

J3a-614

I've got to ask, which type of Army 0-6-0 are you asking about?  There were two of them--one was a tank engine built by Porter, in class S-100.  Most of those went to export, but some were sold for industrial purposes in the US; at least two or three survive, and I think one is in California and is operational.  This model has recently become availble commercially from another manufacturer.

The other was a tender engine very close to the USRA type in appearance, the main differences being a combined sand and steam dome on the boiler, a different smokebox front, the air compressor mounted crossways on the pilot beam, and Walscheart's valve gear instead of Baker.  Interestingly this type was designed for converstion to a 2-6-0, and there is movie footage available of three such engines, converted to 2-6-0s, running on the old Midland Terminal in Colorado in the late 1940s. 

If this is the machine you're working on, I would just use the Bachmann 0-6-0 and redetail the superstructure and add a working front coupler, and of course find, build, or kitbash a correct tender.  The new version runs quite acceptably, especially if you work the tender up for additional electrical pickup, and the mechanism is much closer to the small-drivered switcher than the somewhat leggier 2-6-0.

I might also mention there is a metal and brass kit for the S-160 (GI 2-8-0) available from a British firm.  This would make a good project for Bachmann--there were something like 2,200 of them built, running on just about every continent that had standard gauge rails, including here in the USA.  One of them is under restoration now in Alaska.

Ken Clark

The OO scale USA 0-6-0T engine's were/are available from  Bachmann Europe.

Ken C
    GWN

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 28, 2015, 12:36:11 PM
http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr0605/vbr5.jpg

from the looks of that, a USRA 0-6-0 which some modification(smokebox door remade, running boards relocated and a clear vision tender) should suffice