News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hey Mr B - re Spectrum L&N 4-4-0 suggestion.

Started by Searsport, December 01, 2015, 10:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

You make two Baldwin Modern 4-4-0s for the L&N, #7, DCC and #144, DCC + sound. I have just taken delivery of Spectrum 80127 L&N 4-4-0 #144. This comes with various alternate parts, though I note that it does not have the oil bunker that used to be present with the Baldwin models.

I also have a book "Louisville & Nashville Steam Locomotives" by Richard E Prince. This has 4 pages, 13 photos of L&N 4-4-0s, all taken in the 1920s except #143 (twin sister to #144) in 1939 and #7 in 1947. All thirteen locos have the low tender as in your models, but only one (L&N #2 in 1922) has the "low" coal load as on your model. The other twelve all have a raised bunker on the tender top for the coal, which on all in the 1920s is clearly made of stout planks but on #143 and #7 might be steel sheet. Indeed the photo of #7 shows no coal-heap over-topping the bunker walls and it really looks like an oil bunker, and unlike any of the others it has the L & N lettering actually on the bunker side which to my mind confirms it is steel, but as the photo is at South Louisville why would #7 be converted to oil (it still operated on the Cumberland and Manchester from whom the L&N inherited #7).  I emphasis that these bunkers all sit on the tender top, within the pre-existing flared side-walls, and do not involve an extension of or alteration to the tender side walls on the models.

So I am wondering whether for future releases you might provide such an option for your 4-4-0s, rather as you provide the oil bunker option, which could be fitted by simply levering off the standard coal moulding and putting the bunker in its place using the existing pin-holes, much as the oil bunker is fitted. I suspect this increased bunker capacity was fairly common on railroads still operating small-tendered steamers from the 1920s onwards, and it will help model railroaders vary their stock.

Meanwhile I will be getting #7 shortly, so I need to sort out the coal or oil question, if anyone knows. Fortunately I have a spare oil bunker from the undec model, as I got four of the undec DCC + sound Baldwins from my favourite Brooklyn emporium when they were clearing them at $149.99 each. I also got one each of the B&O Baldwins, #1400 and #1401, so am pleased to see that a B&O 4-6-0 with small tender is emerging shortly. I also seem by default to be drifting towards Appalachia, which probably provides the best all-round scenic modelling as whilst the Rockies and the Rio Grande are spectacular they are also a might inhospitable!

Best regards,
Bill.

Trainman203

I'd be really surprised if the L&N , being a pretty big coal hauler up in Kentucky, had any oil burners.

Searsport

Hi, thanks for your replies.

Trainman: Indeed, I have now found an L&N Diagram of #7 (D-0), undated but showing the bunker, noted that it carried 11 1/2 tons of coal and 5,000 gal of water. There is also a diagram of #143 (D-21) without bunker (in contrast to the photo of #143 with bunker), saying it carried 10 tons of coal and 5,000 gal of water, which suggests the bunkers added 15% to capacity, and hence endurance. That diag is also noted "new boiler 1927", which suggests that #143 got her bunker later than that, and so by inference her sister #144. BTW both #143 and #144 were converted, maybe circa 1908, from Baldwin 4-6-0s of 1889 vintage, which gave them a rangy look, unlike #7 which was built by Baldwin in 1916 and looked a much sturdier beast (and closer to the model) than #143 + #144. BTW Mr Prince says that the L&N used wood-burning 4-4-0s on Florida and Alabama branch lines until 1916.

Doctorwayne: You are right, I am being lazy and should build my own bunkers, and that would also allow greater individualism. But I have reached a time of life when projects progress but slowly, if at all, and Mr. B is much more likely than me to have access to an accurate diagram. I like your treatment of Grand Valley #25 in particular.

Urbi et Orbi: Wouldn't you know it, I paid a Cockeysville, MD emporium $179.99 for #144 in October and that Brooklyn emporium have just remaindered it from $199.99 to $119.99. I give up.

Best Regards,
Bill.