News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overproduced models

Started by Trainman203, November 28, 2015, 07:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Les, did mention Bachmann, he just didn't take up 1/2 a page to do it.

You left out the GP30's history of being in the Spectrum line for a time...

I had asked you a question about one of your newly acquired pieces of rolling stock; did you miss it?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Desertdweller

jbrock,

I haven't lived in "HO Land" since 1978, and I've never owned a Con-Cor HO locomotive.  My experience with Con-Cor HO has been two sets of passenger cars, and observation of "OPM" (other people's models).  They seemed to me to be pretty good for the time, but not up to current standards.  But that was 45 years ago.

In the 1980's N-scale, Con-Cor products were as good as you could get.  They were assembled in the US (Bensenville, IL) using domestically-produced body shells and Kato drives.  N-scale Con-Cor locos I own are UP Veranda Turbines (2); UP U-50; UP PA-1 (2); MP PA-1; Milw DL-109 (2) and UP E-7A.  In 35 years of use, I have worn out both UP PA's, then replaced their drive chassis with new replacement Con-Cor chassis.  I have not seen any improvement in their locomotives over the years, but they still hold their own well against competing brands.  On the other hand, Con-Cor passenger cars in N have improved over the years, and make up the backbone of my passenger fleet.  They offered N-scale passenger cars with interiors at a time when many HO passenger cars (including their own!) lacked interiors.

If I may add, passenger car interiors are a big deal to me.  I like to paint and detail interiors, and add tables to dining cars, and interior walls to sleepers, painting chairs and carpets a variety of prototypical colors and adding antimacassars ("tidies" in railroad terms) to seat headrests in coaches.  Cars without interiors get scratchbuilt ones.

Les

jbrock27

Thanks for getting back to me Les.
Keep Calm and Carry On