News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 3 Truck Shay

Started by dick, November 29, 2015, 02:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick

Well this is pretty much my first experience with buying a new Bachmann engine and so far the experience has not been great I have had other Bachmann engines but they were always used with everything installed.
First thing I noticed is they do not come with a good instruction book as I have seen from other manufactures, second it states DCC ready and there is no instruction on how to connect a DCC system.  The Engine I bought is a 3 Truck Shay. Does any one have the instructions for installing the DCC system? They do have a few sheets of parts diagrams along with a CD that tells you some history and the lubrication method which is great. HELP :-[

Chuck N

I don't do DCC, but my impression is that you need the instructions from the manufacturer of the DCC unit, not Bachmann.

There are too many different units available for Bachmann to provide instructions and there are always newer and improved DCC units coming out. 
Chuck

dick

Yep I understand that but they are all mainly built to one code for color code wires and such so it would be nice just to know if the unit you are buying falls in that category. Most of the Artistcraft units I have ever converted it was a matter of unplug and plug in your unit. Took longer to take it apart than to convert it. I will give Bachmann a call tomorrow and gets some help. Thanks for the reply.

Kevin Strong

Dick, the wiring diagrams on this site are about as close as you're going to get to instructions on how to install a DCC decoder into the Shay. Take a look at the diagrams for the DCC-equipped and the non-DCC equipped locos. There are two 4-terminal connectors. The DCC-equipped loco feeds the decoder from one set of terminals and returns the feed to the second set. The non-DCC-equipped loco jumpers the terminals.

Did you get my e-mail the other day? (I'm presuming it's you who e-mailed me, and that there aren't two gentlemen with the same name trying to install DCC in the 3-truck Shay, but stranger things have happened.)

Later,

K

dick

Yep Kevin I got your E-Mail. Going to try and call you today.