News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

40 FT Wood-side Refrigerator Car

Started by ryeguyisme, November 20, 2015, 01:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Do these reefers have working roof hatches by chance?

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
THis is some excellent model work!  I am glad you and people like Jonathan are here and share your efforts with the rest of us.
I had changed over/modified bashed, etc; most of the freight cars I want to run.  In doing so, I had used a variety of parts; some I scrounged from kits, others, I had purchased from Tichy.  To me, Don has an excellent  selection of parts for freight cars.  Grandt Line does as well. 
Modifying 60 or 70 box cars got to be a tedious job, but they look great!  I do not consider myself especially talented; these parts from good manufactures can really simplify any car that you want to change out.

For trucks, I have traditionally used Kadee-or if the "kit trucks" look decent, I will just change out the wheels.  This is a part of a fascinating hobby from which I get great satisfaction.

jbrock27

It certainly was not obvious.

Reefer madness...
Keep Calm and Carry On

ryeguyisme

electrical whiz kid

Rye;
Changing out hatches isn't all that difficult, and setting them open isn't either.  Any I have received from manufacturers making them as parts have had this 'feature'.  Most of my reefers have open hatches-as have you; I simply like them open. 
Companies like "Red Ball, Intermountain" etc., used to have parts available; I do not know if that is still in effect, with the 'RTR' business; however, Grandt Line, Bowser, and Tichy do.

RIch C.

electrical whiz kid

What I did (I know, I know; it ain't prototype...) was to use the platform hatches on all of my wooden reefers.  Prototype aside, as I said, I just like the looks.   It has this "seems to belong right here" look that to me smacks of steam era railroading.  Besides, pulling a "John Allen" is a real blast!!

Rich C.

ryeguyisme

DoctorWayne,

I don't often post on here due to time constraints however I always look forward to seeing your inspirational work you post on these forums among others.

I really like how you illustrated the way you've used simple styrene and built a chassis straight off from it, or the fabricated roof hatches.

I may have to get a couple Bachmann Reefers because of the crisp lettering

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
I noticed the brass handles on your platform hatches.  Did you fabricate them, or did I miss something in the packets all this time?

Rich C.

Trainman203

Wayne, those GEVX reefers, they were Tyco right?  What of Tyco is left?  Are they a little like a 1800 axe, all original except the handle was replaced in 1890 and the head in 1910? :o :D

ryeguyisme

I've been slowly getting more into complicated areas of modeling outside of kitbashing steam, like decaling and customizing buildings now and who knows what I'll get myself into next, I feel like custom cars might be the next thing to delve into ;D

electrical whiz kid

Rye;
Just as a suggestion; why not do a bit of prototypical research of a particular subject-say, a covered cement hopper; how many were made for which road, appliances, features, etc.  Take your prowess, and divert it this way.

Rich C.