News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new loco bad noise

Started by jason54, February 14, 2007, 10:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason54

I have a new gp40 loco dcc. When it is hooked to a load or on a up grade it makes very loud whine. this is not the case when it has no load or is on a down grade. None of my other gp40s make this noise so I know this is not normal. What should I do?
Thanks

HOplasserem80c

it is probably the wheels slip staining the motor

jason54

I think you mean wheel slip is straining the motor? If I'm not wrong wouldn't that relieve the strain on the motor because it is spinning.
Also it didn't do this at first only after a week or so.
Thanks

HOplasserem80c

well i beliv ti has traction tires that are permanitly attached to the wheels and isn't supposed to cause wheelslip but the tend to slip anywany and strain the motor

brad

Jason, Check to make sure all the drives and gears are lubricated. Take the shell off and see if you can tell where the noise is coming from. Since it's new and your others do not do this, consider sending it in for service/replacement. Bachmann is first rate for standing behind their products.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

jason54

Thanks for the advice I tried lubeing all the moving parts but to no availe.
So I guess I will just send for repair.
Thanks for the info all.

r0bert

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on February 14, 2007, 10:32:43 PM
well i beliv ti has traction tires that are permanitly attached to the wheels and isn't supposed to cause wheelslip but the tend to slip anywany and strain the motor
gibberish aside, you couldn't be more wrong, on every point, if you tried.
(mabe u shd avoid givnn advce on whot u dont no)

Jason,
if lube didn't help, I would look to see that the bushings for the worm are properly seated and straight.
if it looks like all the driveline parts are properly seated, then a service call would be in order.

LD303

traction tires on a dcc loco from bachmann??  i think NOT!!! lol
  and traction tires are NEVER permanently attached....or how would you replace them?

since its a new loco that whine you are hearing might be the motor seating itself in...did you run it through the ''start-stop-reverse-low speed run'' break in ?? ive had several bachmann locos make odd sounds until they got broken in and everything seated right....is it getting hot? or slowing down when it runs for a bit?   if the answer is no on both those questions, it might just need some run time to quiet it down.

ben_not_benny

Bachmann hasn't used traction tires on HO diesels for years, they shouldn't be the problem.

jr switch

Just a word of caution---About a week ago I sent in my 2-10-0 Decopod due to just quit running. I had checked everything and followed the suggestions from the guys on another forum. Still nothing , so I sent it in to the Bachmann service dept. I to have heard Bachmann is great when it comes to their warranty.
     Iv'e tried calling to be sure they got the loco, but their computer has been down so the whole operation has suffered. The lady I talked to today says better count on a month to two months turn around time on repairs. Just wanted to let you know what is going on at Bachmann right now.
     I know I'll get my Decopod back and it will run like new, but it doesn't look like it will be very soon.-----John R

the Bach-man

Dear Jason,
If the loco doesn't break in properly, return it for a replacement.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

jason54

Thanks for all the good advice everyone!! I shall let you know the outcome.
I to had to send back my ez command because adress 10 still tried to run on dcc and cooked my analog loco in 2 seconds flat. I must agree the GOOD folks @bachmann are helpful and stand with their warrenties just don't be in a hurry.
Once agian thanks to all.

ps that was a sale you saw because I have the (not enough locos and cars
sickness aswell.