News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reverse loops

Started by a17dl, December 01, 2015, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 05, 2015, 10:40:00 AM
No apology needed, thanks for clearing it up.  I get it now, so on the insulated rail side, the 2 rails are never joined, just the other side with the metal joiner is joined.  I guess the EZ track snapping together, keeps the unjoined rails from getting out of alignment?

I clip and insulate both rails where a gap is needed.  And yes, the E-Z track usually does a good job of keeping the rails aligned.

When two rails do happen to be a little off from each other, I use pliers to coax them closer together.

jbrock27

Ahh, but doesn't using the pliers run the increased risk of putting the rails outta gauge?  Or have you never checked?  Not to mention bunging up the rail heads with the pliers (that is also a question).
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 05, 2015, 05:27:38 PM
Ahh, but doesn't using the pliers run the increased risk of putting the rails outta gauge?  Or have you never checked?  Not to mention bunging up the rail heads with the pliers (that is also a question).

Yes there's a bit of risk involved, but I'm willing to try it before buying another piece of track.

jbrock27

So, have you ever checked w/an NMRA gauge to see if the track is still in gauge after using the pliers on the rails?  And why would you have to even be considering buying a new piece of track, before using the pliers?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Flare

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 05, 2015, 07:38:02 PM
So, have you ever checked w/an NMRA gauge to see if the track is still in gauge after using the pliers on the rails?  And why would you have to even be considering buying a new piece of track, before using the pliers?

I don't have one, but my trains aren't derailing either.  I use the pliers correct misalignments since the joiners don't 'join' the gapped rails together, and if I overdo it and damage the rail, it was worth trying to save a few dollars on another piece with better 'luck of the draw' on alignment.

Jerrys HO

You could take a dremel and cut the rail back away from joiner and you don't have to worry about the pieces left from  the joiner.

jbrock27

I hear what you are saying, Flare.

A NMRA gauge is a tool worth having for several reasons.  I recommend it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

jbrock27

Hello there, good friend :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

jbrock27

Quote from: Flare on December 05, 2015, 07:52:10 PM
...if I overdo it and damage the rail, it was worth trying to save a few dollars on another piece with better 'luck of the draw' on alignment.

Part of what I am getting at Flare, is that you may be creating you own alignment issues by the methods you're employing.

I think Jerry offers a good suggestion.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

If you look at Bachmann's terminal rail for the reverse loop module that is all they have done except for the wiring board underneath which is not necessary if you don't mind soldering.

jbrock27

I like your suggestion.  I am not keen on the idea of handling and bending rail ends with pliers.
Keep Calm and Carry On