News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F3-A Diesel

Started by bwalm, December 04, 2015, 11:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwalm

I just recently purchased a Williams F3 Diesel A-A set from Train World. The unit is a Baltimore and Ohio 20190. The train runs great but the horn sound is very weak and needs to be activated a couple times before it will sound. I am using a conventional transformer that does not have a bell button, it only has a horn button. Is this a problem that can be corrected and/or do I need an upgrade over my older transformer? Also, the color scheme is great and is there a B unit available to match the engines? The passenger cars are also B&O by Williams and the train would look even better with a B unit. And when was this unit manufactored, I do not see it on your website.......thanks for your anticipated help on these questions..................Bill Walter.       

bwalm

Country Joe

Hi Bill, I don't know if a B unit is available from WBB but I'm answering so you know we are seeing this. I assume someone will know if a B unit was ever made by WBB.

bwalm

Thanks, this was my first use of this website and I was not exactly sure if anyone would answer. Hopefully, someone at Williams will be able to answer my questions........bw.

Hi bwalm,

671 here.

Yes they did make a B unit for that F3 A-A Baltimore set. I too purchased my A-A plus B unit from TRAINLAND about two years ago. Great sale price........ < $ 200.00 for all three units A-B-A.

The horn challenge is probably that the loco is so efficient, that you are running it at a low track voltage. I.e. 6-8 volts or less. The Horn/Bell activation at the lower track voltage is marginal.

One very simple remedy is to change the motor wiring, within the power unit, from a parallel wiring to a series wiring. This allows you to increase track voltage without creating an over-speed condition of the loco. ( More scale like speed and brighter lighting plus a more positive horn activation )

Joe Satnik, on this website, has the detailed wiring change. Reach out to him for help.

I have used this parallel to series set-up on all of my dual motored Williams locos with excellent results. The loco is no longer super sensitive to small throttle advancements, brighter lighting within the cab, and instant horn response. I am using post war ZW 275 watt transformer.

Hi Joe, could you please help this fellow?

Don't forget, when you run your Steamers..."Smokem if you Gottem!"

Merry Christmas...671

bwalm

671, thanks for the response. If you purchased all 3 units for that price, you got a great deal! I guess the best thing for me to do is to call TW and see if the B unit is available. I live in Baltimore and my great grandfather, grandfather and father were all train engineers for the B&O, so when I see B&O, I go for it! My Great Grandfather engineered the great passenger trains between DC, Baltimore and Chicago way back when. As far as modifying the engine, not sure I would like to do that, your comment about the power supply is probably the issue, my track needs a good cleaning, it is up all year and this may be the problem. But, the bell does not sound, will have to figure that one out. Thanks again for your response and have a very Merry Christmas.............................bw.     

bwalm

Comment: Does anyone from Bachmann read these messages? You would think that if a customer who just purchased a Williams F-3 diesel and wants to know if a B unit is available would appreciate the business and provide information as to the availability of such a unit. If not, ok and I will move on. But some of my earlier questions about the weak horn and bell should be answered by the company that makes the product, don't you think? The customer service needs improvement.   

the Bach-man

Dear bwalm,
As far as I know these locos are out of stock in Philly, but are likely available from a dealer somewhere.
Technical issues are usually addressed by 3 Rail, who is currently in Hong Kong. I'm sure he will respond upon his return.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bwalm

OK thanks, when you say " locos" do you mean specifically the B unit or the set as a whole, still can not get a clear answer.  The B unit is not motorized and is not defined as a locomotive. And the only technical help available is in Hong Kong, are you kidding me? Is this where the trains are manufactured?

Country Joe

Bill, even though the B unit is a dummy it's still called a locomotive.

All Bachmann trains are manufactured in China. I don't know if their factory is in Hong Kong but it's definitely in China.

Hope this helps to clear things up for you.

phillyreading

The term locomotive applies to any train engine as it is just another name for an engine, just like you might call a young man a boy or kid.

From what I am reading "the Bach-man" is telling you that the person, 3 Rail, who normally handles the issue is in Hong Kong away from the corporate office in the USA.

Lee F.

bluedragon

I also have an F3 Diesel Atlantic Coast Line 20702.  I ran it using a 40 powermax transformer with bell and horn, but it ran very slow and the bell and horn was very very quiet, I then ran it using a Lionel 1033 90 watt transformer and it ran great, but because it has no bell or horn I could not test that. Can someone tell me a good transformer to use with this Diesel.?

Chessie1971

Williams 80watt transformer.

phillyreading

Quote from: bluedragon on January 03, 2016, 10:48:04 PM
I also have an F3 Diesel Atlantic Coast Line 20702.  I ran it using a 40 powermax transformer with bell and horn, but it ran very slow and the bell and horn was very very quiet, I then ran it using a Lionel 1033 90 watt transformer and it ran great, but because it has no bell or horn I could not test that. Can someone tell me a good transformer to use with this Diesel.?

The Williams or Atlas 80 watt transformer would be the first choice and an MTH Z-1000 would make a second good choice.
My personal opinion is not to use a CW-80 with any engines other then Lionel.

Lee F.

bluedragon

Well, I finally have time to order a MTH Z-1000 transformer to try the horn and bell on the Williams Diesel 20702, and
i have to turn the  power down on the transformer and then i can barely hear the bell and horn. The transformer is putting out
100 watts but running the diesel at 3/4 speed i cannot hear the bell or horn... any ideas pls.
Also, how do in get in touch with  Joe Satnik on this board so that i can check out a solution posted by 671.