News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Models not done in a while

Started by Robertrabbit, December 05, 2015, 08:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertrabbit

This is the opposite of Overproduced.
When was the last time anyone saw a 4-4-2 produced?
I haven't seen any that are DCC ready, or come DCC equipped.
Any other thoughts?
Bob H.

Flare

I've never seen a 0-2-0 model produced, though I have seen some home-made ones in magazines.

Robertrabbit

How about a Columbia 4-4-2.
Or a 4-2-0 little early steam engine called the Pioneer.

J3a-614

Quote from: Robertrabbit on December 05, 2015, 08:14:18 PM
This is the opposite of Overproduced.
When was the last time anyone saw a 4-4-2 produced?
I haven't seen any that are DCC ready, or come DCC equipped.
Any other thoughts?
Bob H.

That's an interesting question, especially if you are talking about something that once was made but no longer is, or at least is not made that often.

The 4-4-2 you mentioned is one; those were made by Bowser (PRR E6s) and Model Die Casting-Roundhouse (Santa Fe prototype that was fairly close, plus some other engines that were more of a parts mixup than accurate models).  Smaller 2-8-0s, such as the slim boilerrd machine also offered by MDC-Roundhouse (think of the earlier Maryland & Pennsylvania 2-8-0s) are another.  I am surprised the Bachmann 4-6-0 high boilered version hasn't been reintroduced (it would be more accurate for some of the engines recently announced using the low boilder version).  In fact, 4-6-0s in general seem to be relatively unusual these days; Bowser had both its own version (PRR G5) and continued the production of the Varney Casey Jones (based on a Southern Pacific engine), and MDC had a 4-6-0 that was also pretty close to an SP prototype (plus some others that were more parts mixing again).  Except for the Bachmann engine, all of these would be kits, and those seem to be completely gone nowadays.

When HO was relatively new, there were all sorts of 0-4-0 tank engines around.  A number of them were inspired by Varney's "Little Joe"  (B&O prototype of only four engines, a hefty modern machine with a superheating, power reverse, and a 33-ton axle load), but there were others, too, including a side tank version from Mantua, plus another 0-4-0 tender engine, and going back a long way, an 0-4-0 based on a Reading A-4 camelback.  MDC-Roundhouse also had an SP-designed 0-6-0 tender engine that may have held the record for the length of its production run, going from the 1930s to probably the 1980s.  

These smaller prototypes were meant to take advantage of HO being a so-called "flea" scale, meant for models in smaller spaces, the same argument that was made for N when it was new.  Keep in mind this was when most modelers were working in O scale, and in that era, HO would look like a "flea" scale!  Those smaller prototypes could still be useful today for those of us who are into industrial style railroading.  

Of course, we might find some other things, such as certain cars that are hard to find as well. . .what else do you think we need to see come back, perhaps in modern form?

Robertrabbit

I'll have to think on that for a while, as I basically model New Haven 1900 to 1940 era.
I do believe a lot of the small yard type engines have been overlooked. These 0-4-0 and 0-6-0
engines had many modifications done to them by their perspective owners. many a 0-6-0 lost it's tender and became odd looking Saddle,or side tank engines.
It seems everyone wants the large engines, and most of the small ones get overlooked.
Bob H.

rogertra

Quote from: Flare on December 05, 2015, 08:25:09 PM
I've never seen a 0-2-0 model produced, though I have seen some home-made ones in magazines.

Only in the April editions.  :)

Roger T.

jward

there are many locomotive types that haven't been produced recently. off the top of my head: emd cow/calf switchers, emd gp18 low hood version, alco rsd12, ge u36b.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

J3a-614

Quote from: jward on December 05, 2015, 11:44:48 PM
there are many locomotive types that haven't been produced recently. off the top of my head: emd cow/calf switchers, emd gp18 low hood version, alco rsd12, ge u36b.

Thanks for the reminder of EMD cow and calf sets!  Those units were a bit unusual, but not excessively so, though certain models and combinations might be (one that comes to mind was C&O's cow and two calves "herd," which I think was TR-3; two sets, drawbar connected as built, unique to Chessie).

Going back to steam, other switchers that used to be available would include the PRR A-5 and B-6 (modern standard 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 tender engines, respectively).  The A-5 was available as far back as the 1950s from John English; Bowser would have both the A-5 and the B-6, the latter being the last new steam model they came out with.  Wonder what has become of the tooling for those engines and the others Bowser made, including the NYC K-11 4-6-2?  That last one was interesting for being a 70-inch drivered prototype that was intended and used as a dual service locomotive.  Just about everything else made as a 4-6-2 has been much leggier, often with 80-inch drivers.  

A number of people have complained about the lack of Harriman engines, particularly the 2-8-2.  If I remember, Varney made these and a heavy 4-6-2 as kits, but they have been out of production since probably the late 1950s.  

John English also had a Santa Fe prototype 2-8-2 in the same period, and it's likely been out of production for even longer.

Going back to the original comment about not seeing any 4-4-2s in production, I don't think any have been made at all in years, much less anything DCC ready.  There is one 4-4-2 available, though it's something of an oddball, even if quite famous and glamorous--Fox Valley's streamlined Hiawatha Atlantic.  Only four built, the first steam locomotive to be streamlined from birth, the last 4-4-2s built, extremely fast, and extremely heavy (they outweighed a light USR 4-6-2!), and built with the main rod going to the No. 1 driving axle, like a 4-4-0.

Somehow I'm not certain that's what the original poster had in mind!

brokenrail

EMD SD24 was made by a few makers,but it has been a long time the last one was made by Atlas and it was a very limited run and nobody has done it since .Would be a nice first generation diesel for the B-mann to do rather then a E7 without the proper cars for it or a B-unit.

Trainman203

If you want to see rarely produced models, look at the catalogues of the brass importers from the early 60's.  These were all hand-made extremely  limited-run engines that were beyond beautiful, but generally did not run nearly as well as engines of today.

As teenagers  we looked at these jewel like things that to us were as affordable as California beachfront property and as removed as the far side of the moon,  and dreamed the beautiful dreams of youth ..... Then went back to our bedroom sized layouts to run our zamac lumps of zinc that  sort of looked like steam engines.

electrical whiz kid

The A-5 is a good little model.  Unfortunately, the only thing in the 'consumer' line is about as appetizing as last weekends' franks and beans...  The linkage, gear, etc is practically non-existent; the boiler and cab are OK.  The really nice looking ones ARE the brass models, with full valve gear, etc.  And they are not exactly cheap.

Rich C.