News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding weight to Porters?

Started by Flare, December 06, 2015, 11:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I'm looking for ways to get my little loco to pull another car or two without the wheels slipping, and the only solution that comes to mind is adding weight to the locomotive for increased adhesion.

My web searches have turned up "dress up" kits, adding weights, and replacing the cab with one made of heavier materials.

Do any of you have suggestions I can add to this list?  Or stories/advice regarding how you added weight to your Porters?

Biglars

Adding sheet lead under the cab roof
Add Lead fireman and engineer
There is some space under the front pilot to add weight.
Any metal detail parts you add will increase weight slightly.

Uncle Ankle

I'm pretty sure Backwoods Miniatures has a porter side tank conversion kit that comes with bulky metal endbeams. Those and a metal cast stack instead of the default plastic ones could also help. (you could also add some fishing line weights inside the largest of the 3 stock porter stacks as well.)
Do-si-do & around you go.

on30gn15

Looking in a reprint of an H.K. Porter catalog published by Periscope Films in 2010, on page 96 at the Plantation Logging and Industrial Saddle-Tank Locomotive Four Driving Wheels Back-Truck with Canopy, Class 2-B-S-K,  the two specifically, one with driver wheelbase of 4ft 6in which could be ordered with telegram word PARVAS; and, the one with 5ft 3in driver wheelbase which could be ordered with telegram word PASACH at their hauling capacity ratings.

The 4ft 6in wheelbase one - weight in working order 35,500 pounds - 870 tons on the level - 200 tons on 1% grade - 65 tons on a 3% grade.

The 5ft 3in wheelbase one - weight in working order 41,000 pounds - 990 tons on the level - 225 tons on a 1% grade - 75 tons on a 3% grade.

Loco was available in sizes all the way from 15,500 pounds in working order to 53,000 pounds in working order. I'm kind of guessing at size/weight on the On30 model since mine is several miles away from home down at model train club.

And it is shown that model trains normally pull somewhat less proportionally on the level and somewhat more proportionally on grades.

I remember sometime back an HO scaler who was disappointed that his 0-6-0 could only pull 6 to 8 cars - which actually is prototypical all the way, mate - Model Railroader's Steam Locomotive Cyclopedia gives that as prototype rating in the pages of 0-6-0 and 0-8-0 types, my edition has that on page 28 with "A typical cut for an 0-6-0 was about six cars while an 0-8-0 might shove some twenty cars over a hump".

The little Porter's low car hauling ability might not be all that unrealistic.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

railexpert

Hello,

I use balancing weights for aluminum wheels. I have got it from my automobile tire distributor. They are facile to handle and self-adhesive. You can they paint black and stick under the loco or the cab roof, where you do not see it.

Railexpert

Flare

Okay, I've given up on getting the little guy to haul 4 flatcars with real wood logs on them.  Even with weights, the wheels lose traction.

It doesn't have any trouble hauling the three passenger coaches from my Hawthorne Village Christmas train though, but I prefer freights to run on my layout.

Might someone tell me if a Porter can haul a train consisting of a Bachmann RTR boxcar, empty low side gondola, tank car, empty flat car, and a caboose all at once before I invest in them all?

Steve Magee

I think you must have some sort of problem with wheels not all sitting equally on the track - something like a twisted chassis. Why I say this is my 0-4-0 Porter, the yard goat for Swamilla, can handle 8 B'mann skeleton log bunks with casuarina (swamp oak/she oak) logs as part of its duties in switching loaded cars to the log pond and empties back to the departure road for the Mallet to slog off back to the Halfway switchback. The Porter is unmodified.

Can you borrow one off a friend and try that?

Steve Magee
Lumber Mountain RR
Newcastle NSW Aust

Flare

Quote from: Steve Magee on January 09, 2016, 06:30:52 AM
I think you must have some sort of problem with wheels not all sitting equally on the track - something like a twisted chassis.

I'm thinking the problem is more likely to be the flatcars' trucks or wheels because they don't roll as far as my other cars when pushed.  I tried replacing their plastic wheelsets with metal ones and that hasn't helped much either.

I ordered some Bachmann 18' freight cars over the weekend, perhaps I'll have better luck with those.

on30gn15

Quote from: Flare on January 11, 2016, 03:36:50 PM
I ordered some Bachmann 18' freight cars over the weekend, perhaps I'll have better luck with those.
Any news yet?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Flare

Quote from: on30gn15 on February 08, 2016, 09:57:43 PM
Quote from: Flare on January 11, 2016, 03:36:50 PM
Any news yet?
Sorry for not responding in a timely fashion, the 18' cars run beautifully.

The problem with the logging flatcars must be the wheels.