EZ Track remote turnouts hook up.

Started by monte1000, December 08, 2015, 11:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monte1000

I have recently purchased the Digital Commander deluxe set.  I am trying to add remote turnouts, but cannot get them to work.  Yes I am new to Model Railroading, but retired with 37 years at CPRAIL.  I checked
you tube but the fellow says to push a button on the turnout, and then function 9 on the controller. However my Bachman remote turnouts have no button to push?

Can anyone help me step by step to get these turnouts to work?  All I get is the controller flashing and beeping.

Thanks very much! 

Tstagg

Do you have dcc switches or do they have green wires attached?

monte1000

Flare

Quote from: monte1000 on December 08, 2015, 02:37:54 PM
They have green wires attached. 

Those are manual turnouts, the DCC turnouts don't have the green wires.

monte1000

But the package says "Remote Turnout".  It says "a three-wire green cable with plug is attached to the track section.  Insert plug end of the green cable into the "turn-out controller".  Is this a separate controller I need to buy?  Thanks very much.

Flare

Quote from: monte1000 on December 08, 2015, 03:55:39 PM
But the package says "Remote Turnout".  It says "a three-wire green cable with plug is attached to the track section.  Insert plug end of the green cable into the "turn-out controller".  Is this a separate controller I need to buy?  Thanks very much.

The "Turnout Controller" is a slide switch you press down on to activate the motor and is supposed to be included with remote turnouts:  http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=2480

This needs to be connected to the AC terminals of an analog controller like this one:  http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=879_604_782_783&products_id=3172

monte1000

AHHH, finally someone who knows!  Thanks so much.  The side switch was included.  But I do not have the analog controller.  I will now go get one.   Thanks very much again and Merry Christmas From Alberta!

Flare

Quote from: monte1000 on December 08, 2015, 04:15:07 PM
I do not have the analog controller.  I will now go get one.

I hope I'm not too late, but make sure the controller has AC terminals before you buy it.

Some cheaper models don't have them.

jbrock27

It is not necessary to buy a B-mann power pack, any standard power pack that has DC/AC terminals will do (you could even use the DC terminals if they supplied enough power, up to 19 volts) but I would go with the AC terminals.   Many inexpensive, even train set power packs would serve this purpose and most have AC terminals in addition to the DC terminals.  A good place to look is EBay as ones can be found there that are new or like new and would foot the bill.

PS: I don't think I ever came across a inexpensive HO power pack that did not include AC terminals.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Quote from: monte1000 on December 08, 2015, 11:14:22 AM

. . . says to push a button on the turnout, and then function 9 on the controller. However my Bachman remote turnouts have no button to push? . . .

monte1000,

The video covers a  Bachmann turnout equipped with a DCC decoder.  A turnout has to be equipped with a DCC decoder to be controlled by the E-Z Command Control Center. The Bachmann Remote Turnout you have is not DCC decoder equipped and is controlled by a remote analog direction switch.

Click Here   for the Bachmann Remote Turnout instructions. Read all the instructions do not depend on just the illustrations.

In place of a DC model railroad power pack  you can use a wall wart transformer rated 12 to 16 volts output at 500 milliamps (mA) up to 1 amp.  Either AC or DC output wall wart transformer can be used. 

jbrock27

I still plug for the power pack.  The advantage, both sets of terminals can provide for options to be used for powering things in the layout, which is not the case with a wall wart.  I also don't know the cost of the wall wart is so favorable to what can be found for a power pack.

Another point; it can be difficult looking or finding a wall wart with the right requirements (volts and amps).  An HO power pack, not so much.

Just my 2 cents ;D

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Quote from: Flare on December 08, 2015, 02:46:16 PM

??? ??? ???

flare if they are manual why would they need wires? think before you post. ???
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mabloodhound

Quote from: jward on December 10, 2015, 02:28:23 PM
Quote from: Flare on December 08, 2015, 02:46:16 PM

??? ??? ???

flare if they are manual why would they need wires? think before you post. ???

Maybe to power the frog or rails?  think about it.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Jhanecker2

I suspect Flare meant to say analog or  regular  non- DCC   controlled   turnouts  .   Remember the DCC  controlled turnouts are a relatively  new product . People with relatively  little experience  with the technology  of their newly acquired  hobbies make assumptions that are not always correct .  John2.