News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HOw to converrt DCC to DC

Started by Rookie1, December 08, 2015, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Quote from: Catweasel on January 09, 2016, 06:38:41 PM
Why not remove all the DCC gubbins and wire it normally? One wire to one brush and the other one to t'other side. Job done.

A terrific idea...

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 09, 2015, 12:36:48 PM
...simply remove the chip from the loco and solder the wires on the same side of the loco that come from the trucks together, the same with the other side of the loco and solder one set of truck wires to one contact on the motor and the other set of wires to the other contact on the motor.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jlc41

Well i finely got around to converting my loco to DC. As mentioned, I removed the decoder and used the plugs supplied with the unit. Of course being a newbie my loco would not run. So I put the decoder back in still wouldn't run. I tried to pay attention to how everything was assembled before taking the tender apart I inadvertently turned one of the trucks around when I put it back together. I posted my problem and thanks to all who responded, in particular Balto who suggested I may have turned a truck around. I call to Bachmann who confirmed the trucks are insulated, and the trucks must be on opposite to each other that fixed the problem. This is a learning experience.     

jlc41

So by increasing the amount of track contact via the tender wheels to the motor of the loco you are maintaining power to the motor???

jlc41

Wayne, thanks for the explanation and pics. Nice work.
Joe