News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HOw to converrt DCC to DC

Started by Rookie1, December 08, 2015, 01:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rookie1

bapguy

If it has a separate decoder with an 8 pin connecter on it you can make your own jumper. Buy one of these: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Train-Control-Systems-1255-CBU-8PIN-PLUG-CIRCUIT-B-p/tcs-1255.htm    you'll need to figure out which pins to connect.   Joe  

ACY

jbrock27, the HO Soundvalue 2-6-0 does not include a jumper plug. The only way to convert it to DC would also of course take away the sound. If I recall correctly the decoder is built into the board for this locomotive and using a jumper plug is not possible even if you had one without doing some soldering which would defeat the purpose.

Rookie1

Thanks for the clarity , it seems to be making sense now

Rookie1

Would a DCC loco run correctly on a separate 15' line with a DC auto reverser ? 

jbrock27

Quote from: ACY on December 09, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
jbrock27, the HO Soundvalue 2-6-0 does not include a jumper plug.

Thanks for the info ACY but then again, it's not my responsibility to know if it comes with one or not.

Quote from: ACY on December 09, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
The only way to convert it to DC would also of course take away the sound. If I recall correctly the decoder is built into the board for this locomotive and using a jumper plug is not possible even if you had one without doing some soldering which would defeat the purpose.

So given that, wouldn't that mean in answer to R1's original question about converting it to DC, that he would have to remove the chip and solder the wires to the motor as I initially suggested?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 09, 2015, 07:32:39 PM
So given that, wouldn't that mean in answer to R1's original question about converting it to DC, that he would have to remove the chip and solder the wires to the motor as I initially suggested?
Well in this case it would be ill-advised to convert the locomotive to DCC because then there would be no sound, the main advantage to buying this model is the Soundvalue decoder. But if you were dead set on converting it to analog DC then that would be the way to do it.

jbrock27

Quote from: ACY on December 11, 2015, 01:49:12 PM
...if you were dead set on converting it to analog DC then that would be the way to do it.

Thank you :)

Quote from: ACY on December 11, 2015, 01:49:12 PM
...it would be ill-advised to convert the locomotive to DCC because then there would be no sound

In your estimation, it would.  But this is why I had said this, 2 days ago...

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 09, 2015, 01:06:20 PM
Your future plans for the loco should dictate how you go about getting it to run on DC.

...that is a choice and decision, that is up to R1 to make for himself, now that he has the info ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Rookie1

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jlc41

I just bought a 4-4-0 DCC. I noticed it needs more power to start moving. Someone here suggested unplugging the decoder and installing a jumper. When I looked up the manual for this it said to remove the decoder and install a dummy and two 3 prong jumpers. Help, I am confused.

Tom_C

See the reply above from bapguy, with a link to the part you need to make the jumper.

Quote from: jlc41 on January 04, 2016, 04:38:43 PM
I just bought a 4-4-0 DCC. I noticed it needs more power to start moving. Someone here suggested unplugging the decoder and installing a jumper. When I looked up the manual for this it said to remove the decoder and install a dummy and two 3 prong jumpers. Help, I am confused.

jlc41

TomC, thanks for the infoe, I,ll let you folks know how I make out.

Tom_C

Glad to help... and, if you are handy then you can probably make a set of jumpers without using the plug linked above.  Just using some solid copper wire and a little solder should do it up fine.... If you feel up to it. :)

Catweasel

Why not remove all the DCC gubbins and wire it normally? One wire to one brush and the other one to t'other side. Job done.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.