News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SKARLOEY IS IN STOCK

Started by InsideTrack, December 09, 2015, 02:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

I'm very familiar with the narrow gauge railroad in Maine, I remember taking a look at one of the engines when I was a kid and I was allowed to take a look inside the cab too.  Beautiful engine.  If there were to be a model of this made anytime soon I would definitely pick one up.  I'm also familar with HOn3 as well and it seems to be a common misconception amongst most Thomas fans that Skarloey will be HOn3, when really he is HOn30.  For some reason it's listed as HOn3 in the Thomas Wikia too.  

I also agree that it is great that modeling in HOn30 really doesn't take as much space, it's what will really make modeling with Skarloey a lot of fun once I start getting more invested in narrow gauge modeling.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

BassTbone

The good thing about HOn30 / OO9 is the fact is fits in a small space.  I am building a 3' x 5' layout thats pretty moderately sized for a OO9 layout.  You could EASILY go and buy a 2' x 4' sheet of wood from your DIY store and build a decent OO9 / HOn30 layout on it.  Thats the beauty of it.   ;D

Really happy with Skarloey Bachmann.  Fantastic model with superb detail. 

I look forward to future releases of this amazing quality.  Thank you for answering our requests. 

uscgtanker

HOn30 is a great little hobby but i can easily understand were the scale misconception comes out. I have been modeling Hon30 for several years off and on and finally building my first actual layout. Being a part of a modular railroad club I'm building my narrow gauge line on portable sections. I have a good part of the line planed out with the first town being loosely based of TYWYN wharf station. On the narrow gauge I intend to place the great deviation from the Ffestioniog, a slate quarry, sheep pastor and loading dock, parts from the puffing billy railway and three station stops for passenger service.

Bachmann has done a really nice job of supplying us with the skarloey models. I can understand bringing the price down for the rolling stock but not the engine. For having such a small frame that needs precis work to make the model work very well is worth the price. Also the only way bachmann can keep going with skarloey is we buy there product, that would give them more insensitive to build more.

Titanic5972

Can only be good news that Skarloey is proving popular. Plenty more Natrow Gauge locos to be added. I think that not having the eye mechanism is actually a good thing. Anyone using the Hornby models and wanting the narrow gauge loco won't have one odd loco with "live" eyes among a whole range of non live eyes.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Titanic5972 on December 24, 2015, 11:33:12 AM
Can only be good news that Skarloey is proving popular. Plenty more Natrow Gauge locos to be added. I think that not having the eye mechanism is actually a good thing. Anyone using the Hornby models and wanting the narrow gauge loco won't have one odd loco with "live" eyes among a whole range of non live eyes.

I knew the Narrow Gauge range would be popular after it's announcement earlier this year. I am definitely getting Skarloey and the three Wagon's.

Chaz

Well, my family decided to let us each open one Christmas present early on Christmas Eve... Do I even need to tell you which one I picked?

Needless to say, I am extremely happy that this is my first narrow gauge engine in my collection!  I will post more pictures as well as my thoughts after Christmas.   In the meantime I would like to wish everybody on the Bachmann Trains forum a Merry Christmas and I look forward to hearing more about what others have to say about this model!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

^ @Chaz: Looks like you picked Skarloey. Please post more pictures of him and his Wagons as well when you get a chance. I haven't seen any decent pictures of the Wagons yet, of what they actually look like.

Chris333

It would be great if Bachmann would get into HOn30. The Skarley chassis would be a great start for this real 30" locomotive:

And it wouldn't be that far off to make a 0-4-4 Maine Forney like WW&F 9 that was just brought back into service and was owned by 3 different railroad, with 3 different paint/lettering schemes. 

Just sayin'

Bob S

Chris33 said:

"It would be great if Bachmann would get into HOn30. The Skarloey chassis would be a great start for this real 30" locomotive:

And it wouldn't be that far off to make a 0-4-4 Maine Forney like WW&F 9 that was just brought back into service and was owned by 3 different railroad, with 3 different paint/lettering schemes. 

Just sayin'"

Yeah, verily!   

Out of the box, it won't pull much because the longitudinal center of gravity (LCG) is too far aft.  This won't make a whit of difference to those who expect the engine in Skarloey garb to pull only a few short wagons, but for scale conversions, it would need to pull a realistic train of scale length cars.  I balanced mine so that the LCG is between the two driver axles, and balanced as such, it will pull the paint off the bulkhead.  This is going to be a VERY useful mechanism for HOn30 modelers.

Respectfully,
Bob S.

Grab Baggage and Walk!

Chris333

So I took the drawings of the locomotive I posted about and drew artwork to have parts etched in brass. This is what I've got so far:

That is the Bachmann Skarloey chassis under all that.

This locomotive would be a hit in Hon30 or On30. Just sayin'.

the Bach-man

Chris!
That is outstanding!
the Bach-man

Earl Ghylldale

Hello Fellow NG Modellers.

Chris, what an excellent "Forney" you have produced using the "Skarloey" chassis.  Although I am not personally interested in North American NG or short lines, I can only admire your skill in drawing up the etches for your chosen model.  There will be hordes of NG enthusiasts in the UK who will be envious of your efforts.
"Skarloey" can be converted into its real-life prototype, "Talyllyn" and a kit of 3D printing and brass etches are available from www.narrowplanet.co.uk  to make the cylinders and motion more authentic.

Bachmann Europe does not have the licence for Thomas & Friends in Europe, so the narrow gauge stock cannot be sold commercially in the UK.  My "Skarloey" was send by a long-suffering sister-in-law from California. I hope this will extend to "Rhineas" should Bachmann decide to produce a model!

Finally, the scale gauge conundrum.  At exhibitions, I have a little display board with 009, N gauge and 00/H0 standard gauge track,  together with standard gauge locomotives in 00 and N gauge and one in 009.  This helps to explain how N gauge and 009 gauge engines will run on the same track,  but are not the same scale, whereas, despite the size difference 00 and 009 engines are the same scale but not the same gauge!! Sorry I cannot send a picture "the uploader file is full" I will try to send it separately

Duke

Quote from: Earl Ghylldale on April 24, 2016, 12:16:56 PM
Bachmann Europe does not have the licence for Thomas & Friends in Europe, so the narrow gauge stock cannot be sold commercially in the UK.  My "Skarloey" was send by a long-suffering sister-in-law from California. I hope this will extend to "Rhineas" should Bachmann decide to produce a model!

Bachmann has announced they are going to produce Rheneas  ;)
Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty

Earl Ghylldale

Hello Chaps

Any news of "Rheneas" yet?  I'm banking on him being released whilst I am visiting the Californian relatives!