News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problems with brand new DCC-Sound SD45

Started by spookshow, December 09, 2015, 07:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookshow

I'm having problems with my new DCC-Sound SD45. It performs fine when running by itself, but suffers frequent stalls when I hook up cars to it. And the more cars I hook up, the more frequently it stalls. The problem is even worse when attempting to push (as opposed to pull) the cars.

For example, with thirty assorted 40' freight cars in tow (forward direction) it will stall and then restart maybe once while making a circle around my layout. When attempting to back up with the same number of cars, it will stall and restart repeatedly until finally stalling out entirely (IE I have to go rescue it manually).

This is the second one of these I've tried and both have exhibited the same symptoms. Other locomotives (with or without sound) perform just fine on my layout.

Anybody else run into these sorts of problems? Anybody have one that doesn't have these sorts of problems? Any suggestions from Yardmaster?

Thanks,
-Mark

gatrhumpy

Mark I understand your frustration as mine does the same thing.The engineer ins me is saying somehow the electrons are getting interrupted in getting from the wheels to each frame half.

The thing that I have found on these things is that if the wheels are not making direct contact at all times, it will stall. Try placing some weight on the locomotive and see if that works. I suspect that with all the weight it's trying to pull that the wheels are lifting up off the track, making it stall. Maybe you can find a way to visually verify this with the wheels.

Mine does the same thing. It's annoying. If I can't sell mine I'm getting an ESU LokSound with some decent capacitance so as to try to eliminate this.

Bucksco

We will test some on this end to determine if there is a problem.

gatrhumpy

I took out the stock Soundtraxx sound decoder and installed an old DCC decoder from a Bachmann GP7 I had. The thing ran a little hesitant at first, especially over small bumps and turnouts. However, once it got going, it ran well, both forward and backwards. It crawled along too.  So I strongly believe the problem lies with the Soundtraxx decoder. There is not enough capacitance on the DCC decoder.

The other good thing is once I took out the stock Soundtraxx decoder the shell sat MUCH lower to the ground. It looked great!

airferber

To run in DC-Mode, Try using a DCC interface to Turn off the sound by setting CV128 to 0.  I tried that with a Bachmann DCC Sound Engine such as a 2-8-4 and It doesnt stall as much in DC mode with the sound OFF.  Set CV 128 to a number between 1 and 255 when you are ready to run with sound in DCC mode.  Hope This helps.
-Aaron

spookshow

The problems are the same using analog (DC) or DCC. I have both types of control systems.

Cheers,
-Mark

gatrhumpy

I have the same problems with mine. It stalls out no matter what. Just got a Kato SD45, and expect an ESU LokSound Select Micro in the mail tomorrow. I don't think I'll have any problems with that one.

rustycoupler

Does this loco have the same power pickups as the older spectrum model? If thats the case give up, i hard wired those copper connections underneath the frame using very flexible wire directly to the frame, still have same problems as described she is a shelf queen now. The prices for these locos are way overpriced.

gatrhumpy

Yes it's the same power pickup scheme.

One could conceivably get a reliable pickup scheme on these locos similar to Kato and Atlas by grinding down each half of the frame so the shell sits lower, and getting rid of the metal on the frame halves where the copper contacts contact the metal frame. You can add Kato style copper pickup tabs above each truck for improved electrical reliability.

Of course, if you hard-wired the copper truck contacts, that SHOULD be bullet-proof.

With people returning these things left and right, I'm guessing that there should be bigger capacitors in the circuit board.

spookshow

I honestly don't think the problem with this new release is the truck wipers. Although problematic, they can be adjusted to work correctly. And on the two new SD45's I had to return, the pickup wipers looked just fine to me (as far as how they were contacting the chassis).

Not saying that the problem definitely isn't the wipers, but I'm more inclined to believe it has something to do with the decoder.

Cheers,
-Mark

Billy Y

Just got my SD-45 yesterday and nothing but disappointment.  Wish I had read about the problems others had before I bought mine.  The engine stops frequently especially on turnouts.  This is on a layout where 10 other engines from Atlas, Kato and Walthers will run all day without a whimper.  The second problem is the coupler height.  It is too high, about half a coupler higher than any engine or car I have.  This causes the engine to drop the trailing cars whenever it meets the slightest twist or bump.

Any help on the coupler height adjustment?  Based on the comments from owners, with Bachmann recall this engine?

gatrhumpy

Only thing you can do with the couplers is probably shim them so they're lower. As for a recall, there would have to be a LOT of unhappy people.

I'm guessing they'll redo the decoder. The sound and motor drop out is unacceptable.

Maybe I'll just put an ESU LokSound in mine. I love those things.

westfalen

Quote from: Yardmaster on December 10, 2015, 01:59:46 PM
We will test some on this end to determine if there is a problem.
Any word on this? After three months my two SD45's are still just $250 paper weights. :(

gatrhumpy

I would try to add some capacitance to the circuit. I've shown how to do this in another forum. You should Google it.

spookshow

I just bought a third one last week. This time I tried a different retailer and roadname (Rio Grande) in case the first two were from a bad batch or something, but no luck - all the same problems.

I've read that at least some of these run well, so I don't know why I keep getting all the lemons.

Cheers,
-Mark