News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need to upgrade track

Started by F3adventure, December 10, 2015, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F3adventure

Hi,

I purchased a Bachmann G scale White  Christmas Express train set to go around my tree. It's been a big hit but I would like to upgrade the track. The track sits on medium length carpet which I know is not ideal  and the train was frequently  the railing. It also was having trouble trouble picking up power in a couple places. I was hoping a better quality track would solve my problems. I like the obal configuration that came with the train set so I would like to get exactly the same size and shape just in a higher quality version.

I am looking for recommendations as to what I should buy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kevin Strong

Any of the big track manufacturers' track will work well for you. (Bachmann--their brass stuff, LGB, Piko, TrainLine45, USA Trains, Aristo to name the big players. They're all compatible with each other. The track that comes with the starter sets is 4' diameter (2' radius). All the players make track at that size. Having said that, I'd recommend going with a larger diameter if you can swing the extra space. LGB makes a 5' diameter (2.5' radius) curve. I believe Piko or TrainLine45 makes a 6' diameter (3' radius) curve. Our trains perform much better on wider curves; less drag and wear and tear on things. If you have the space to go with an 8' diameter (4' radius), I'd definitely do that. Indoors, fitting anything larger than that begins to get problematic.

A few things about track; you'll notice that I'm including both the diameter and radius measurements in my post. In most model railroad scales, track is expressed in terms of radius. Large scale uses both about equally, and often confuses the two in the process. When you're ordering your track, make sure you know what the measurement is referring to.  Also, you'll see some manufacturers use "R" codes to describe their track; "R1," "R2," "R3," etc. DO NOT assume one manufacturer's "R3" is the same as another's. It may be, it may not be. Always go by the actual dimension. In that light, you'll also notice that some manufacturers use imperial measurements, some use metric, and there's a high probability there's some "rounding off" in play. What one describes as "2' radius" may actually be 600mm. Usually the amount of rounding up or down is minimal, so there won't be any kind of significant problem using, say, LGB's 2' radius track and Bachmann's 2' radius track in the same circle.

Later,

K

Hunt

New track will not solve the carpet problem. Put something that does not contain fiber between the carpet and the track such as plywood cut to size, plastic runner, plastic or canvas painter's drop cloth, etc. Look around Lowe's, Walmart and the like, you will find something that will work for you and fit what you are willing to spend.

Chuck N

Also the tighter the curve, the more black dust will show up on the carpet.  This comes from the drivers grinding the rails.

Hunt's suggestion of a sheet under the track, wood, plastic or cloth is a great idea.

Chuck

Note added, Kevin's comments are right on!

veetwelve

Times two (three?) on placing some sort of substrate between the track and the carpet.  We wound up finding a vinyl-faced round Christmas tablecloth on sale and adapted it as a Christmas tree skirt... cut a hole in the center for the tree trunk, and a slit from the edge to make it easy to get around the tree.  That's worked great for us for a number of years now.  Makes a great surface for the track, and hides the wiring for the Christmas tree lights.

Good luck!
Jay

Don Gilham

Being UK based, I use PECO G-45 track - the rail profile is less, giving what I think is a more realistic look, although the ties are all evenly spaced and of even lengths which is a shame for a supposed narrow gauge road.