News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery to track power on Big Hauler

Started by timmccmd, November 30, 2015, 12:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmccmd

Probably answered this before, but no luck with Search function on site.  I'm about to take ownership of a Big Hauler set got on ebay; 'new' but no box.  Appears this is a battery powered unit.  I've seen some dribs and drabs of info re converting to track power, including complaints that without the batteries, the engine is so light it almost flies off the track.  Adding weight shouldn't be problem.  What I'm concerned about is whether this type engine can be track powered (LGB power supply)?

Hunt

Bad news --

If it is battery powered with R/C control, such models were last produced over 25 years ago and low quality when new.  My opinion - a waste of more money to convert it to track power.  A resent production track powered Big Haulers locomotive will cost less than the parts and time required to convert what you bought. 

Hunt

to correct software typo

A resent recent production track powered Big Haulers locomotive will cost less than the parts and time required to convert what you bought. 

timmccmd

I kinda thought this would prove problematic.  Locos are generally available at reasonable cost.  If it was just tinkering with some wheels, pickups, etc....but sounds like wholesale changes...better to get a more recent version.

Hey, thanks for the insights!

Kevin Strong

It is plausible to add metal wheels and track pick-ups to the trucks in the tender of the locomotive, then feed that power directly to the motor and headlight of the old loco. Add a Zip-Loc bag full of lead shot to the battery compartment, and it will work.

However, I definitely agree with Hunt on this one. There's a distinct reason there are (now) 6 generations of drives on this loco. You may get it running on track power, but it will hardly be a good performer for you. The 1st generation drive isn't great, and the plastic drivers aren't terribly robust. The 5th and 6th generation "Annie" versions of this loco are light years ahead (to put it mildly), and not terribly expensive.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Hunt and Kevin are totally correct, it is not worth the cost or the effort.  Definitely get a track powered big Hauler and be sure to get a newer one with a Version 5 Chassis if you buy a used one on Ebay etc.   If you buy an Anniversary 4-6-0 be sure to get one with the version six chassis.

Your RC isn't a total loss, when painted up it looks great as a dummy unit next to a roundhouse or engine house!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

I'm in agreement with Hunt, Kevin, and Bill.  However, I have a question for them or any one else who might have an answer.

I have one of the original battery/RC engines.  Can the new replacement motor block assemblies be used in the version 1 bodies, or does it require a lot of surgery?

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Chuck,
I don't know of anyone who has done it in recent years. I would say it is possible, but would strongly suggest not doing it. The chassis for sale in the online store does have the version 5 chassis. The old RC Big Haulers did not have the higher quality plastic used on the later track powered versions.  Compared to track powered Big Hauler 4-6-0's the plastic on the handrails is very soft, same for the whistle, bell and other parts.

When Bachmann first came out with the RC Big Hauler sets in 1988/89, they were not meant for the Hobby market but for the mass market toy buyer and were sold at K-Marts and similar stores toy departments.  You could get the whole set for as low as $35 on sale.  They were made as cheaply as possible to keep the price point low.   What Bachmann did not realize was that Large Scale hobbyists like myself were hungry for American prototype products.  The cost of the whole set was lower that what a person had to pay for a single LGB freight car, much less a starter set, and the products were all overseas prototypes.   My friends and I bought the sets just to get the American style flatcar, gondola and caboose.  The loco was desirable because there were no American prototypes available at the time.  Pretty soon guys were converting the RC locos to track power even at considerable expense, not to mention the major work involved finding metal wheels etc.

The hit status of the rc sets was recognized immediately and Bachmann followed very quickly with the version 2 chassis Big Hauler using track power.  They were a huge hit, and the tank car, box car and reefer followed as well, both in sets and separately.  The quality of the plastic was greatly improved along with the handrails, bell & whistle.

Enough blah blah, I definitely recommend getting a later model Big Hauler 4-6-0 with the version 5 chassis, or the Anniversary 4-6-0 with the version six chassis.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

Thanks Bill!

I'm not in the market for a new engine, I was just wondering.  It has been in the box for over 25 years.  I thought I might put it to use.  Perhaps I'll bring it out and put it under the water tank or coaling station, since it isn't track powered, I won't have to worry about it moving.  I repainted and relettered it for the D&RGW, so it will fit in with the rest of the rolling stock.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no." The 1st-generation loco I think is a bird unto itself. We had one on my dad's railroad, and when I went to refit a BBT chassis under it a few years back, there was just enough off kilter that it didn't work. I ended up "kitbashing" a new loco from the BBT chassis, a generation 5 boiler, and the original cab and tender from the 1st-generation loco.

Later,

K

Chuck N

Thanks "K".  I appreciate the input.

Chuck

Chuck N

Thanks, Bill for the suggestion.

I just brought my original (battery/RC) Big Hauler out of storage for a static display.

Chuck