News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale EZ track dead spot

Started by Train1017, December 13, 2015, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train1017

My wife and I are currently building a Small Christmas layout using n scale EZ track.  We are at the point of caulking the track to the foam board.  I began testing the oval track and have found a dead spot involving 5 pieces of track, curve, 2straights,then 2 more curves.  The locos I tried both stopped on both sides of these rails. I uses the eraser style cleaner, wiped with alcohol to no avail. I subbed a couple of brand new straight pieces, no luck there. I don't have any curves left to change out. Any suggestions?

Len

Check none of the rail joiners are missing. The plastic clips will physically lock the track sections together, but without the rail joiners there's no electrical connection. If they are all there, make sure you don't have any plastic "insulating" joiners in the mix.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Train1017

Train1017

Tried, all were good, now have another dead curve

Len

If the rail joiners are all attached another possibility is the ends have spread, so they are not making good contact with the connected rail. Seperate the tracks and use a needle nose pliar to GENTLY squeeze the rail joiner closed. You don't want to mash it flat, just reduce the space between the top and bottom a bit. You want to feel a bit of resistance as the joiner slides on to the connecting rail.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokemoto

Be sure that the sections are connected properly.  Be sure that the metal rail joiners are properly connected and are aligned properly with the rails.  One of the most common track gremlins with sectional track is misaligned rail joiners.  They ruin electrical continuity and cause derailments.  Take your time connecting the track sections.  Connect one at a time and take extra care that the rail joiners and rails are properly aligned before you pop the sections together.   One sure way to check for proper alignment is once a few sections are joined and down on the board, pry gently on either side at the joint.  If one section lifts up without taking the other section with it, the joint is not aligned properly.  You must check each section on each side of the joint and both sides of each section.  It might be painstaking, but the reward is good continuity, smooth running therefore enjoyment of your trains.