Question on Bachmann 0-4-0 Side Tank Porter

Started by Plow_Bender, December 15, 2015, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Hey guys,
Recently I had a guy offer me a great deal on the Bachmann 0-4-0 Side Tank Porter locomotive.  The model I'm referring to is this one right here.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=255_433_708&products_id=5317

While its a model I'd like to have, all my large scale models run on DC power and the Porter details say that it is DCC ready.  I know that Bachmann also has products that are DCC on board and these products will run on DC power as well as DCC.  Basically what I want to know is does DCC ready mean the model has the DCC on board or is the locomotive strictly DCC only?  Any help would really be appreciated.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chuck N

I think that means it runs as is with DC, but it has a socket that will accept most DCC boards.  No wiring necessary.  At least that is what I think I means.

Chuck

Flare

Quote from: Chuck N on December 15, 2015, 04:39:34 PM
I think that means it runs as is with DC, but it has a socket that will accept most DCC boards.  No wiring necessary.  At least that is what I think I means.

Chuck

That's my understanding of the term "DCC Ready" as well.

Bucksco

"DCC Ready" means that the locomotive's electric motor is isolated and ready for decoder installation. On newer models it may feature an NMRA 8 Pin Socket that will accept aan NMRA decoder that is equipped with an 8 pin plug. Either way DCC ready locos run in DC mode until a decoder is installed. DCC on Board means the engine is equipped with a DCC decoder. As a side note most Bachmann DCC on Board locos are equipped with a dual mode decoder which means they will run in DC or DCC mode.

Plow_Bender

Well from what everyone is saying, it should work.  I think I'll go ahead and snatch it up.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chuck N

Thank you "Yardmaster".  Please keep the distinction in your models.  I have no desire to go to DCC.  I have six Bachmann locomotives and I am happy with DC.  My collection includes many more LGB engines.  I stopped buying their products (and started buying Bachmann) when they went to MTS on all their locomotives.

I didn't want to pay the significant add on for MTS that I didn't want or need.

PLEASE KEEP THE OPTION.

Chuck

I won't pay for technology add ons. Switches to go from track to battery/?. Would always be welcome.