News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacing Rail-Joiners on Bachmann E-Z Track

Started by Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow), December 15, 2015, 05:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Hello
The title says it all-- I want to replace my Bachmann E-Z track rail joiners with new ones (due to careless storage most of them are bent far beyond repair). For a while I contemplated throwing out all the E-Z track and starting anew with Atlas, but I paid all this money for the track I have and it seems to me at least like a fixable problem. My question(s) are:
How do I replace the rail joiners without damaging the track?
Will the track work if I simply replace the rail joiners or do I need something else to ensure success?
Thanks
-R
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Flare

I know Bachmann sells replacement joiners, but I haven't used them personally.

I do know that getting the original Bachmann joiners off isn't easy and often breaks the set of plastic 'spikes' holding them in place.

Nevertheless, my method for removing joiners is to grab them with pliers and tug until they give, praying that the rails don't come off with them.

Yes, I've had 3 packs of 36 rail joiners ordered off of Amazon (cheap, thank goodness  ;)) and hopefully they can solve my problem...the rails coming off worries me a bit though...

Flare

It worries me too, but you can lessen the chances of it happening by 'opening' the joiners so they don't grip the rail.

Quote from: Flare on December 15, 2015, 05:41:51 PM
It worries me too, but you can lessen the chances of it happening by 'opening' the joiners so they don't grip the rail.
Alright. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.  ;)

jbrock27

RyRy, as Flare Gun pointed out, the task is not always easy.  I have used the method from this video:

http://s792.photobucket.com/user/NarrowmindedRR/media/20121110195709.mp4.html

Sometimes it has worked like a charm and other times, not so much :(.  Seems that depending on when or even where the lot of the same kind of EZ track was made, it can be different in terms of how hard or easy it is to get the joiners off.  I suggest that if the joiner does not start to pull off right away with diagonal cutters or needle nose pliers, take a hobby (Xacto) knife and trim the black plastic spikes form where they are in contact with the rail joiner and then pull the joiner off.  Sometimes it also looks like the joiners are crimped to the rail.  In those cases, I would do as my good friend Jerry suggests and try to open up the joiner with a jewelers screw driver first, to help be able to get it of the rail.  Too much force and you run the risk of twisting a rail and sending it out of gauge.

Please know too, that EZ track is Code 100 and you don't need to have to buy Bachmann joiners-Atlas nickel silver joiners or other brand Code 100 joiners will fit the bill.  Good luck and have fun! :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Alright, I was able to successfully remove mostly all of the rail joiners while only sacrificing three curved pieces due to the track getting pulled out of place (but then again, who doesn't have enough curves?  :P) Anyway, my next challenge is how to install new ones. Help would be greatly appreciated!

jbrock27

What, put new joiners on the rails ??? ::)

PS-before pulling the track out of place, did you try the above recommendations?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Alright so I began replacing the rail joiners this morning and at first they worked fine (not great, but art least the engines actually moved...) a few hours later I am back where I started. The engines are not responsive on any track at all, regardless of new rail joiners being present or not. I have checked my power sources and checked all the engines; none of them work. As previously stated i am using back Bachmann EZ track and I am running Bachmann trains. Any help is greatly appreciated...

jward

I am confused here. did you say your power supply isn't working? did you test it?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

And, have you ever cleaned the wheels of your locos?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Um...hehehe no?

How would I go about doing that?

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 25, 2015, 08:01:18 PM
RyeRye, what kind of EZ track is this?
Black kind...um...Bachmann brand...um...yeah...