News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consolidation 2-8-0 not moving on track

Started by Pierre_Escargot, December 15, 2015, 06:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre_Escargot

Hello all,

Having an issue with a Bachmann Consolidation 2-8-0 HO scale locomotive. I purchased this in a lot off eBay and it arrived today. Upon putting it on the track, the engine moved a few inches then quit. I have only a dim headlight and a "humming" noise which sounds like the gears trying to work. I tried it on multiple tracks only to have the same thing happen. I did a little disassembly and noticed I cannot move the gears to the wheels whatsoever. This is not new engine, at least a couple decades old, however, it is in new condition and looks to never have been run (plastic still on in original box). I love the locomotive and really don't want to have to send it back to the seller- does anyone have any ideas as to why I have this problem and if I can fix it?

Thanks!

Flare

Did you try lubricating the motor and gears?  Perhaps the oil/grease dried up and now it's seized.

Pierre_Escargot

Quote from: Flare on December 15, 2015, 07:01:35 PM
Did you try lubricating the motor and gears?  Perhaps the oil/grease dried up and now it's seized.

That's on my to-do list once I get home. The engine looks to be from the mid 80's based on the paperwork, so that's definitely a possibility that the lubrication is gone.

The seller of this locomotive claims it "ran like a champ" for him before he listed it, so I don't know what to think here.

Flare

Quote from: Pierre_Escargot on December 15, 2015, 07:20:47 PM
The seller of this locomotive claims it "ran like a champ" for him before he listed it, so I don't know what to think here.

Perhaps a long time passed between running and listing?

Pierre_Escargot

Quote from: Flare on December 15, 2015, 07:35:20 PM

Maybe.... ???

electrical whiz kid

Look on line for this locomotive.  You will find lube instructions.  Follow them, and make sure you get as much old grease out as you can.  Dried up grease has the consistency of old boogers, and you really want those gears to be operating in a nice clean smooth environment.

Rich C.

jward

if it moved forward a few inches then sits and hums you may have a bind somewhere in the mechanism. this could be something as simple as a piece of grit in the gearing. I would disassemble the locomotive and remove the drive wheels from the frame. see if the drive wheels can roll freely down the track, or if the bind is still there. look in the gear teeth on both the drive wheels and the worm gear for grit and remove any you find.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

I wonder if the cogged belt broke. Seeing as how Bachmann parts is sold out of those, I think it's a fairly common problem.

Sid

electrical whiz kid

SId;
I  just checkedthe 'pantry' and there is a belt (17mmX34tpb) available.  I wonder if, with a little coaxing-it wold fit...

Rich C.

brokenrail

Quote from: Pierre_Escargot on December 15, 2015, 08:03:15 PM
Quote from: Flare on December 15, 2015, 07:35:20 PM

Maybe.... ???
Yes its call a new old stock restoration.Had many I guess it sat in some stock room where the grease dried all up and was like putty or what he said .So when your done consider it had built by yourself .By the way check the side rods and lube all the joints.carry tissue to immediately soak the excess up.Make sure the side rods and valve gear linkage are inline not bent or hitting each other causing a lock up of the drivers.Sounds like you have a plus or a Spectrum dhave fun with it and pace yourself .