News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Groundthrows

Started by plint, January 02, 2016, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

Are they easy to install?  I have older atlas remote switches that I use manually and would like to apply groundthrows and take off the black clunky remote parts.
Thanks
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

jward

they are not hard to install. the type that are sprung are a little easier to install.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I understand many like to use the Caboose Hobbies N scale ones as they look more in place than the HO ones.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Let's ask Wayne if he uses the N or HO scale ones. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

The ground throws blend in a little better if you add a bit of "rust" to the throw arm and weight. The actuating rod would stay black, as they were generally covered in grease.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

plint

Nice layout Wayne!  So the groundthrows just attach to the control lever/arm  on the switch  and I don't nee the remote control part, right?
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

jbrock27

Quote from: plint on January 03, 2016, 08:34:37 AM
So the groundthrows just attach to the control lever/arm  on the switch  and I don't nee the remote control part, right?

Right.  The ground throw eliminates the remote control part, which is the purpose of using them.

Thank you for the response Wayne.  For future powering of those turnouts you need to, any thought to Servo Motors?  I have read about and seen them successfully implemented.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
Some time ago, I read about the use of Baker-or Mantua-couplers (yes; some people still use them).  The writer was commenting on how unrealistic they appeared; however, I think it is one of those things-like subway graffiti at 125th street:  After a while, you don't even see them anymore.  I guess the simplicity and reliability of them far outweighs the cosmetic upside, for some people. 
I am installing Caboose throws on turnouts that are close to the edge.   I want to try and set up their stands-these can rotate round 90 degrees (approx.).  I figure that if they are far enough into the background (but not too far...), I can use them in conjunction with my Tortoise machines. 

Rich. C   

Len

Quote from: doctorwayne on January 03, 2016, 02:21:56 AM
You're probably right, Len, but paint doesn't stick to Delrin very well.   :)

Wayne

Have you tried spraying them with a CA accellorator, ZIP-Kick or similar, then using a microbrush to apply a thin coat of of CA gel to the surface first? Then put some rust color weathering powder on a slightly bent 4x6 index card and gently puff it on to the surface while the gel is still wet.

Don't use the liquid CA, it will run into places you don't want it. It will not lock the Delrin up hard, but it gums things up enough to notice.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.