News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Undecorated models

Started by brokenrail, December 17, 2015, 03:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Jim; run down to the package store and buy a bottle of Graves Grain Alcohol.  I use it for cherries, but I am sure it would do a slam-bang job on paint...

Rich C.

electrical whiz kid

Addendum:   
It is 95 proof....
works well on cherries...

Rich C.

VA NS train Lover

Spectrum undecorated are still out there. Though I have not seen any new products  undecorated. But myself I wish they would produce a few more. I only have 2 undecorated bachmann spectrum engines which are the Fairbanks Morris H16-44  and GE 70 tonner

jbrock27

Quote from: VA NS train Lover on December 22, 2015, 03:19:12 PM
Spectrum undecorated are still out there.

You don't say?
Quote from: jbrock27 on December 19, 2015, 01:03:10 PM
I have come across Spectrum diesel ones on EBay.

Rich, in college, grain was for drinkin, sometimes even straight :P  And thanks for the tip :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: doctorwayne on December 23, 2015, 02:36:53 AM
As for the 99% alcohol, I read somewhere (the Model Railroader Forum, I think) that 99% alcohol is available in the U.S., but that it's not kept on display - you have to ask for it.
Wayne

Of course, everything said on the MRRF is completely accurate, LOL!  And that seems like a rather odd practice to me.  Did this poster ever say where such places are keeping it in their back room? 
If I ever find it south of the border, I'll let y'all know.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Rich, "95 Proof" would be about 47.5% alcohol.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Excuse it, Jim; 95% alcohol.  Makes one heck of a thump when it hits bottom, I'll tell you!   

Rich C.

Trainman203

The undecorated steam engines always sold out first.  Never understood why they quit being offered.  I got some of nearly all of them while I could.

Some one at Bachmann a few years back had a fascination with steam engines lettered for southern railroads, the Southern and Seaboard in particular .  There were even a couple of engines lettered for the MoPac. They were always the last to sell. Those days are gone.  It's mostly back to the train set railroads now ...... NYC, PRR, ATSF.  But, there's a T&P ten wheeler and a Frisco MacArthur coming out.  I'll be getting both.

jbrock27

Add Walthers Mainline to the list of undecorateds.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

I agree with Trainman 203.

Undec steam always sold out first.

The decision by the so called "expert" sales "suits" was a poor one and should be rescinded  ASAP.

Bring back undecs!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas

Roger T.

rogertra

For stripping models it is 99% Isopropyl Alcohol that is the best.  Not "99% alcohol".  Big difference.  :)

99% Isopropyl Alcohol is readily available in Canadian drugs stores, it's displayed on the shelves.

In fact, I have a 500ml plastic bottle of "Life" brand 99% sitting to my left as I type this.

Merry Christmas.

Roger T.

jbrock27

Yes a Merry Christmas to you as well!

And yes, we have been over this before as I mentioned.  It's terrific, as has already been established, that it's available, in Canada...
Keep Calm and Carry On

ryeguyisme

Quote from: rogertra on December 24, 2015, 04:51:43 PM

The decision by the so called "expert" sales "suits" was a poor one and should be rescinded  ASAP.

I will have to agree here, Undecorated models always sold out way before actual roadnames did. Sort of how the Undec models go for more money on the bay. It's hard to overlook actual results.

Bucksco

Quote from: ryeguyisme on December 25, 2015, 01:10:19 AM
Quote from: rogertra on December 24, 2015, 04:51:43 PM

The decision by the so called "expert" sales "suits" was a poor one and should be rescinded  ASAP.

I will have to agree here, Undecorated models always sold out way before actual roadnames did. Sort of how the Undec models go for more money on the bay. It's hard to overlook actual results.

I have to strongly disagree with this. Undecorated models were always done in lower quantities and ended up being sold to distributors at a bigger discount in order to get them out of the warehouse.

Trainman203

Well folks, there's the inside track. A business is a business.  At least we have steam engines at all and I am thankful for that.