GE 70 ton locomotives DCC on board: Any sound decoders?

Started by hawghead1, December 19, 2015, 08:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawghead1

I have several GE 70 ton locomotives with DCC on board. love the engines but would like sound in them? Anyone out there produce sound decoders for them?

Another question on sound..... any way of quieting these little monsters? The growl is terrible.

Thanks in advance,
hawghead1

Ckrails

No one makes a decoder that is specific to the 70 Tonner (Cooper Bessemer engine), but I believe the SoundTraxx Tsunami TSU-750 for the GE Cummins engines is recommended.  Somewhere on the web someone documented their own install.  There is also a thread on the Bachmann forum:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,18887.0.html

The author demonstrates with photos but I can't get them to load on my computer.

If you go for it, best of luck and please post instructions with lots of photos!

smvirr

On youtube there are a couple video's of G.E. 70 tonners with sound, which engine I do not know.

I have several G.E. 70 ton locomotives, everyone of them is so noisy that I do not run them on my layout.
Has any one figured out how to quiet them down.  I have used oil, gear lube with no results.  Next would be tearing them apart, a last resort.

Mike

smvirr

To help with the sound, I took my 70 tonners apart and lubed the bearing at each end of the locomotive and the universal joints.  I used a heavier oil on the brass worm gear.  The ran a lot quieter.    But when I put the shell back on some of the noise returned.  Better and quiet enough to use them on the railroad.

jbrock27

A suggestion: instead of oil, use grease on the worm gears,  Better suited for them as it will adhere better and not tend to get slung around with motion.  Oil is good for other metal parts like bearings and drive shafts.
Keep Calm and Carry On

gmhtrains

I am getting ready to convert one of my GE 70-tonners to On30 scale with the use of the Mount Blue laser cut Doodlebug kit. That way the diesel's natural sound may be appropriate for a gas-electric railcar without having to look for an after-market decoder.

gmhtrains