News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout naming scheme

Started by jdlowndes, December 22, 2015, 10:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlowndes

Good morning,
As i have said before, I am in the process of purchasing my daughter and myself a HO scale railroad for Christmas this year. I would like to build it on a shelf style in the current "Playroom" at our home, due to limitations of space.

My question is this: Is there a certain name that I can search the net for, to gain plans/ideas for a layout that goes in a "U" shape around three of the four outer walls of the room?

I appreciate your helpful responses and time in advance!!

Hunt

Do two searches
   model railroad shelf layout construction
   model railroad shelf ceiling layouts

You will need to adapt the info to your requirement.

Also Click Here

ebtnut

Most shelf layout designs are "point-to-point", i.e., the train begins at one end, runs to the other, then has to be reversed to return to the origin point.  If you want a continuous run, you will need return loops at both ends, which will take up more space. 

Len

This layout is 'O', with O31 (roughly 15" radius) curves. With 4ft widths on the ends it can be adapted to HO using 18", possibly even 22", radius curves:

If you're not comfortable with the wiring involved with reverse loops, you could turn it into a 'dog-bone' with parallel mainline tracks seperated by 2" or so between the end loops.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.