Hey Mr B - Question about the new DCC ready 52" Driver 4-6-0s

Started by Searsport, December 21, 2015, 06:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi Mr B, I see that these new 4-6-0s are due end December (or so say Trainworld). I am planning to buy two DCC ready models, Bachmann #52202, Baldwin 4-6-0 (Low Boiler, 52" Drivers) B&O #1357 and Bachmann #52205, Baldwin 4-6-0 (Low Boiler, 52" Drivers) Texas & Pacific #316. I have two spare Spectrum tenders with Tsunami sound from the Baldwin Modern 4-4-0 and I am wondering, can I just swap the tender tops and plug them in or will they blow the light bulbs? I ask because Life-Like always stress the need to replace the bulbs when adding a decoder, but Bachmann instructions are always silent on this matter. I know that some decoders have built-in protection to allow the old 12v DC bulbs to be left in place, which is why I mention which decoder I will be using. I have plugged Spectrum Tsunami tenders into DCC ready Spectrums before, but only for short tests, and I notice that the lights glow a whole lot brighter than they do on DC.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks,
Bill.

the Bach-man

Dear Bill,
That's one for the service department.
Give them a call tomorrow.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

Trainman203

I tried a tender  swap between the "Richmond" 4-4-0 and the "Baldwin" 4-4-0, both sound equipped.  You'd think it would have worked but no, some polarity issue inside was different between them  and the new combo would short out on the track.  So I tried flipping the tender wheels.  Upon which the engine ran fine but the headlight would come on in reverse only.  There is probably a cv that would fix that but I just wasn't up for it.

Bucksco

The new 4-6-0 locos feature Sound Value decoders so they have a different plug between the loco and tender.

Trainman203

Trainman203

Good.  They are a big improvement.  Nice new bright led headlights too, like the mogul, I hope.