News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers don't hold

Started by Zengrandpa, December 23, 2015, 07:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zengrandpa

I have the Royal Gorge set that my grandson and I set up for Christmas. I added a track expansion set with elevated track. There have always been some relatively minor issues with couplers releasing randomly but now much worse with the elevated track. Also part of the couplers on the passenger cars that protrude downward catch in the track. Can couplers be replaced with something that works better? I don't see an obvious way to disassemble the cars to replace the couplers.
Thank you

jbrock27

Sounds like your problem is a result of: A) the couplers are not all at the same height and B) the couplers are not at the correct height.
You can improve this with a Kadee Coupler Height Gauge.  I like the plastic version over the metal version bc it prevents a short if you put the gauge on live track.
There is no other way I am aware of to hook cars together, aside from using couplers.  Draw bars are meant to used between locomotives and tenders or locomotives and other locomotive units, where the connection is meant to be somewhat "permanent".
Do your couplers have little copper coil springs on the knuckle?
Keep Calm and Carry On

TwinZephyr

If you added a graduated pier set to elevate the track, your grade changes may be too extreme.  This can cause couplers to slip past their gathering area.  Also, the trip pin of a car on level track can dig into the ties as it approaches the start of a steep incline.

jbrock27

I agree that elevation will accentuate a coupler height problem, not to mention other, but not related problems created by (too) steeply elevated track. 
Gramps, what is the grade of the piers you are using?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

It's not a too steep grade that will cause cars to uncouple at the top and bottom of the grade, it's the fact that you do not have a (suitable) transition curve between the level track at the top and bottom of the grade and the track that's climbing the grade.  You need an arc between the level and climbing/descending track, this is the transition curve.

Merry Christmas.

Roger T.

brokenrail

One of the few benefits of  those horn hook couples  is this one .
Johnny

Len

Quote from: brokenrail on December 26, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
One of the few benefits of  those horn hook couples  is this one .
Johnny

That's because the horn-hooks have a built in shelf that prevents bypassing. Single shelf type knuckle couplers will do the same. But it's better to build a vertical curve transition into the start and end of steep grades to prevent bypassing to begin with.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I see zero pluses of horn hook couplers. >:(
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Yes Sir, I have a few bags full of them. Maybe one day I will part with them.Memories. ;D
Johnny

James in FL

This is the way I do it, your mileage may vary.
The easement is the same at both the top and the bottom of the grade.

Good luck

Jhanecker2

Zengrandpa  sounds  like he did not adjust the couplers to clear the track properly . which is exasperating  his transition from level to elevation . I agree with twinzephyr about the trip pin causing interference. John2.

electrical whiz kid

A combination  of things would greatly improve your problem.  J. Hanecker came up with the partial, and Jim came up with another:  Go back and re-read those.  That transition thing can be a real pain, but if you want to run without the hassles, take a good look at both of those posts; and to me, the fussiest investment of time you can spend is on track-work.  It will always return favourably.

RIch C.

jbrock27

Thank you for the kudos Rich ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Quote from: Zengrandpa on December 23, 2015, 07:16:21 PM
There have always been some relatively minor issues with couplers releasing randomly

Since no-one seems to have spotted this part in the month the topic's been up ::), are the couplers the older E-Z Mates with a plastic spring instead of a metal coil spring? Because if they are, that's part of the problem. That plastic spring loses its tension and becomes unreliable or sometimes even completely useless at keeping a coupler closed.

jbrock27

Quote from: ZeldaTheSwordsman on January 24, 2016, 10:31:05 AM
Since no-one seems to have spotted this part in the month the topic's been up ::), are the couplers the older E-Z Mates with a plastic spring instead of a metal coil spring?

I am questioning how good a reader you are... ::)

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 23, 2015, 08:17:49 PM
Do your couplers have little copper coil springs on the knuckle?
Keep Calm and Carry On