News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W J

Started by toromain, December 26, 2015, 09:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toromain

The locomotive by itself runs well.  When the tender is coupled on the locomotive shorts out.  The tender itself doesn't cause a track short.  Other locomotives run well on the same track.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

phillyreading

Would help to have some more info on the tender and engine. Does the tender have a wire to the engine or center rail pick-up roller for a whistle? Have you put the tender and engine on at the same time but not have them hooked together and apply power? Also is this a new engine & tender or is it used?
Sometimes the tender draw-bar hits the center rail and shorts out, usually happens without a tender. Also what type of track are you using? Is it Fastrack, MTH Realtrax or tubular; Lionel older design or Gargraves?

Lee F.

toromain

There's no wire from the tender to the engine and it has center rail pick up rollers and wipers on the axles.  I have not tried putting them on the track unhooked and applying power.  We're in the process of moving and my layout is packed away.  I can use my grandson's but he's 100 miles north.  This is a new engine and tender.  The track was Fastrack.  Thanks.

phillyreading

Quote from: toromain on December 26, 2015, 08:55:50 PM
There's no wire from the tender to the engine and it has center rail pick up rollers and wipers on the axles.  I have not tried putting them on the track unhooked and applying power.  We're in the process of moving and my layout is packed away.  I can use my grandson's but he's 100 miles north.  This is a new engine and tender.  The track was Fastrack.  Thanks.

If it is a new engine and tender I would contact the repair department and see if you can send it in for repair. Since your tender has center rail rollers it has a sound system in it. Sounds like your tender has a wiring problem but without seeing the engine in person I can't tell you anything for sure.
You can take the shell off the tender and see if you can find anything wrong inside like a loose wire or an unplugged connector.

Lee F.

toromain

Thank you.  I may try to return it for a refund or exchange.  I'm afraid that if I fiddle with it I will eliminate my chances to return it without fixing the problem.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

phillyreading

Quote from: toromain on December 28, 2015, 11:17:55 AM
Thank you.  I may try to return it for a refund or exchange.  I'm afraid that if I fiddle with it I will eliminate my chances to return it without fixing the problem.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

You can try for a refund or return but most places want you to go the repair route first. It's your choice. See what the company will do.

Lee F.

toromain

The seller said to check with Williams 1st so I'm doing that.  Thank you.

phillyreading

Quote from: toromain on December 29, 2015, 09:53:13 AM
The seller said to check with Williams 1st so I'm doing that.  Thank you.

Did you buy this from an online vendor or ebay? The online vendor should tell you what to do if you bought it from them. If you bought it from ebay you may have to pay for the repair if you send it in to Bachmann's repair department as second hand sales are not covered under warranty.

Lee F.

toromain

Still waiting for a callback from Williams.  Thanks.

phillyreading

Quote from: toromain on January 02, 2016, 04:36:14 PM
Still waiting for a callback from Williams.  Thanks.

Call Bachmann again! Don't wait for them to call you.

Lee F.

toromain

I phoned today.  Will be mailing the locomotive in for service.  Thanks.