News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

guard timbers and guard rails for flex track

Started by billgiannelli, December 27, 2015, 12:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

I am assembling a Micro Engineering "Tall Steel Viaduct" bridge and had planned on using Bachmann flex track I had bought with it.
However the instructions call for installing guard timbers over the ties and a guard rail inside of the "normal" rails plus "barrel platforms".
The guard timbers, guard rails and barrel platforms are supplied with code 83 Micro Engineering Flex track.
Anyone know if I can either buy this pieces elsewhere for my Bachmann Flex track or do with them for my bridge?
thanks
Bill

electrical whiz kid

I am not sure if Micro Engineering produces bridge ties, but Central Valley does.  These  assemblies are good, easy to work with, and look really nice.  Guard timbers were usually placed alongside the rails on the outside, guard rails (usually of a lighter yardweight) placed in between the rails.  This assembly will look really good with code 83 rail-or, if you can find it, code 75.   Oh Jim Brock; they do make it!

Rich C.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

There is a company that offers flex bridge track, and they give you the guide rails with it to install yourself ,plus a few other detail parts.Check the Walthers catalog.There a little pricey but very nice.They may be Micro Engineering code 83 not 100%.
Johnny

billgiannelli

I am curious for this type of model what glue and applicator do you use?
I am using testers cement for plastic models.
thanks
Bill

jbrock27

Seems like liquid model glue, like made by Testors, would be ideal.
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

beautiful bridges!!!!
what applicator do you use with the testers?
thanks
Bill

electrical whiz kid

Wayne is right on the mark.  If you look  on Central Valley's  web site, and read up on the assembly of their track, the late Jack Parker will mention a product called "Barge Cement".  I am sure that 'Barge' is just a trade name.  This substance is a type of contac t cement, similar to what Wayne mentions.  What Jack had said  runs in line with the nominal application of contact cement.  Due to the compound of that specific plastic, solvent cements generally do not work well.  Contact cement is probably going to give you satisfactory results. 
If you want to experiment around, that is how methods, ingredients, etc., are discovered.  Enjoy!

Rich C. 

jbrock27

Quote from: billgiannelli on December 28, 2015, 05:27:34 AM
beautiful bridges!!!!
what applicator do you use with the testers?
thanks
Bill

The applicator is a brush that comes with the liquid cement.

Thanks for the clarification, Wayne.
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

Wayne,
I am going to use the Micro Engineering open deck girder bridge kits for an incline.
With that I want to use graduated piers. would it look ok to just use the bridge shoes to place on top of the piers?
Or would it look better and more realistic with some sort of a support like a bent to transition to the pier.
I hope that makes sense.
thanks
Bill

jward

barge cement sounds similar to walthers goo, or pliobond, both of which are available in tube form.
I have also heard of attaching the metal rails to the ties in the same manor as gluing the guard timbers, except that after gluing the rail they run a soldering iron slowly along the top of the rail. the heat supposedly makes the glue bond between the metal and whatever tie material is used much stronger. I have not tried this myself so I can't say from firsthand experience how well it works.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

I've used the soldering iron method on Code 40 rail in HOn3 with Pliobond and it works well.  I would be hesitant to use that method with plastic ties.  A little too much heat and the ties start to melt.

billgiannelli

I cant thank you all enough for the wealth of information! Thanks!!!!!!!
I need to get to work! My wife is complaining the setup is not done and I have a ton of bridging to model!
thanks
Bill

billgiannelli

I just realized something that seems obvious now......I cant use the guard timbers on the curved bridge I'm building because the guard timbers are straight.
Are guard timbers used on a curved bridge?
thanks
Bill