News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke units and DCC

Started by brokenrail, January 02, 2016, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrail

I was thinking about installing some smoke units and would like to be able to control them with the dcc output control and a realize that the current that the

smoke generators use is too much for the decoder to handle .I would like to know if there is a micro type relay to use to use the low current dcc controll output

to control the high current that a smoke generator draws, and a example of how it could be wired  without letting the smoke out of a Soundtraxx sound

decoder.I like the option of being able to turn it off, rather then letting it constantly draw and burn out prematurely If not being used.I have some 12 volt mini

automotive relays laying around ,but seem still to large and too much draw to be of any use in ho scale.Already fried part of a old mrc dcc decoder doing a trial and error with one of those relays.Guidance Appreciated.
Johnny Adam

jbrock27

What would you be using to generate the "smoke"? 
Have you not read many times here, that most recommend against "smoke" as it creates a mess, that settles on the tracks and causes "why won't my loco run?" kinds of situations?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

jbrock27

Does that mean you endorse "smoke"?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: brokenrail on January 02, 2016, 03:05:28 PM

I was thinking about installing some smoke units........................

Don't!

They are unrealistic and are messy.  They will leave a layer of oil over your locomotives, track and scenery.

At best, they just look as though your loco is smoking a cigarette.  The smoke is thin and wispy looking, nothing like real locomotive exhaust.  Completely unrealistic.

Happy New Year.

Roger T.

jbrock27

At last, someone else with reason....
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 02, 2016, 04:41:45 PM
If it is done correctly.I see many comments that it is messy and causes problems Yes I AGREE,because it is not being done the right way.IF the old mechanical sound systems were thrown out and never improved upon we would not have sound .Now would we.
Years ago when there were still stores around town we picked up these toy trains for the kids they were battery powered had lights,some kind of sound coming out of the station and smoke out of the loco.Well it was not smoke .It was powder driven by a pump type diaphragm mechanized off of a gear from a drive wheel.It worked somewhat ,but it was a great example of trying.We all know progress is not perfect,but isn't that why we have such great stuff today in model railroading?

Len

The only HO locos that came close to looking like actual smoke were the old American Flyer HO 'Pacifics'. They had a piston, driven by a gear on the opposite side of the motor's worm from the drive axle, that forced air through the smoke unit to create a puffing effect, and a "chuff" sound with each puff. But the smoke unit pulls too much current to control directly with a decoder function output.

I've converted Flyer S-scale locos to Timko can motors, and added a G-scale decoder in the tender. There's enough room there to add a relay between the decoder function output and the smoke unit. But there's not enough space to do that in the HO loco.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokenrail

Broadway limited,The competition has some new smoke units out there that are fan driven that seem to be a work in progress ,but there not to shabby.I stumbled on to a link one day of someone using a micro transistorized type of relay that was very small and lost all the info on a pc that went to the scrapper.So far I have not found it.Time to reinvent the wheel it seems when dealing with smoke units.

brokenrail

Quote from: rogertra on January 02, 2016, 04:42:33 PM
Quote from: brokenrail on January 02, 2016, 03:05:28 PM

I was thinking about installing some smoke units........................

Be nice to just have one that worked well to bring out every now and then to entertain .All that nice steam out there with sound does not get the realisum it should without it.Diesels you can burn some oil somewhere so it smells and there you go.

Don't!

They are unrealistic and are messy.  They will leave a layer of oil over your locomotives, track and scenery.

At best, they just look as though your loco is smoking a cigarette.  The smoke is thin and wispy looking, nothing like real locomotive exhaust.  Completely unrealistic.

Happy New Year.

Roger T.

jbrock27

Quote from: brokenrail on January 03, 2016, 12:52:47 AM
Quote from: jbrock27 on January 02, 2016, 04:41:45 PM
If it is done correctly.

brokenail, I was posing my question to Professor HUNT, who conspicuously, has not answered ::)

If it makes you happy to go against conventional wisdom and advice, then knock yourself out ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

Brokenrail : considering the best smoke units   cannot come anywhere  near to  real  density of the smoke & steam exhaust of a prototypical steam locomotive and if they could , would be banned  from production by the Environmental Protection Agency  and the national boards of  Health .   Those kind of effluents would never be allowed for indoor use .   Considering  the  amount of  cleanliness that is necessary to run  electric trains especially  DCC equipment electric trains, smoke is a total waste of time & effort .   If you absolutely  have to have  "smoke ",  consider  changing  modeling  scale  and  actually  learn how to build functional miniature steam engines .   Good Luck on your  endeavor  .   J2.

brokenrail

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 02, 2016, 04:30:41 PM
What would you be using to generate the "smoke"? 
Have you not read many times here, that most recommend against "smoke" as it creates a mess, that settles on the tracks and causes "why won't my loco run?" kinds of situations?
Vapor not smoke.There is a difference.This allows the smokers to smoke indoors.Advancements are already there.MY son buildS the coils for them where he works. Something to go on.

jward

GREAT. NICOTINE ADDICTED LOCOMOTIVES ;D
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

I work in the entertainment industry where we frequently use hazers, which as the name implies puts a haze into the atmosphere so the audience can see the light beams and to create hazy atmospheric effects in movies, like a smoky room for example and where we also employ foggers.  Foggers put a dense fog into the air, so dense that sometimes you cannot see through it.

Modern foggers and hazers use a water based "juice" which is approved for use around humans, which is why they are used in concerts.

However, would I want this stuff used in my model railway room?  No, not on a continuous basis, like every time I run the railroad.  Once in a while for effects, yes, but that would be it.  Besides, they have a habit of triggering smoke detectors which is why, in some venues, we have to contact the alarm company and advise them we a shutting the smoke detects off for the duration of the concert.  They do not effect heat detectors, which many venues now use rather then smoke detectors.

Cheers

Roger T.