can somebody help me with my trackplan?

Started by sedfred, January 03, 2016, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

I decided to update my 2 x 8 trackplan, i want to add a mainline at the bottom where trains can enter or leave the layout, the problem is that i can't figure out what pieces of track i'd need, the mainline needs to stretch from the beginning to the end of the layout, but nothing i come up with works, i can't figure out the track arrangement needed to have the turnout where i want AND at the same time have the mainline going all the way from start to end. here it is http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah278/picklemonkey1234567890/LAYOUT%20UPDATE_zpsooipxahx.png . also can someone list all the specific pieces of atlas track i need to build this layout? i changed a few industries too, some building designs haven't been figured out yet so they are just represented with the name of the industry

Len

Download the free trial version of AnyRail and you should be able to figure it out for yourself. It comes with libraries for all the major track systems. The trial version is limited on how many track pieces you can use in a layout, but it's more than enough for what you're doing.

The AnyRail website: https://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html  Just click the green 'Download' box below the AnyRail logo.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

If you're set on using Atlas track, then go to Atlas' site and download their track planning software. Has all their track and a bunch of Walthers and other buildings in it. And it's free with no limitations on number of pieces of track.

Sid

jbrock27

I know that SCARM also has an inventory of Atlas track and turnouts/switches in their data base.  That is not the same as the Atlas software, is it Sid?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 03, 2016, 10:19:57 AM
I know that SCARM also has an inventory of Atlas track and turnouts/switches in their data base.  That is not the same as the Atlas software, is it Sid?

The Atlas software is here: http://www.atlasrr.com/software.htm

Except for crossings, other than 90deg, crossovers, and numbered turnouts, it can also be used for planning basic EZ-Track layouts. But the AnyRail demo includes an EZ-Track, as well as other track systems, library.

Len

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

atlas's layout planning software, the current version, is a stripped down version of scarm. it contains only the atlas track, if you want other brands like ez track, get the full version of scarm. or (highly recommended) buy the full version of anyrail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

That's a nice little layout, Sedfred.  My layout is more or less two of those on either end with two similar but somewhat reduced settlements out on the line.

jbwilcox

I have tried AnyRail and found it very difficult to use.

jward

scarm is not as user friendly as anyrail.

what are you having difficulty with?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

sedfred

I tried anyrail and scarm and they are not helping me at all, whoever polished up my ms paint track plan can you please list the pieces of track needed? it's not that i'm lazy or stupid, i am really struggling to use these programs, they are not user friendly to me!

jbrock27

One reason why I went with regular sectional track and bought a pair of Xuron Rail Cutters! ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

one thing we all need to take into consideration when using these layout planning programs is that numbered switches usually don't correspond exactly to standard curved track pieces. when building a layout, there is enough wiggle room that you can make them work even though they are not an exact fit. the layout programs, however, do not have this wiggle room. they are exact, and this can throw things off a bit when planning a layout with them.

examples: atlas  #6 is 9.5 degrees, atlas#4 is 12.8 degrees, those will work with 1/3 and 1/2 18r sections in real life but not using software. the ez track #5 is 12 degrees, and will work in the software with the 12 degree 35.5r ez track curve.

one of the software programs that is no longer available had a feature where you could use sections of flex track to create user defined sections like a 12.8 degree 24r curve. this is one feature i'd love to see repeated in scarm and anyrail.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Quote from: sedfred on January 10, 2016, 01:50:22 AM
I tried anyrail and scarm and they are not helping me at all, whoever polished up my ms paint track plan can you please list the pieces of track needed? it's not that i'm lazy or stupid, i am really struggling to use these programs, they are not user friendly to me!

I think that was me. I used 'RR-Track', which is a fairly easy to use program, but it's not free. I don't remember if I saved it, or just did a "quick and dirty" without saving. I'll check after lunch.

Len